Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » silly question regarding 7 pi corner horns
silly question regarding 7 pi corner horns [message #38943] Tue, 05 November 2002 15:43 Go to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Looking at the Theatre 7 corner horns, all the pictures show an opening of 12 x 44-1/2 on one side. There don't seem to be any views from the other side.

Does that opening also appear on the other side? In other words, is it a through opening, like building a room corner a fixed distance away from the front of a vented cabinet?

π Cornerhorns [message #38945 is a reply to message #38943] Tue, 05 November 2002 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's exactly right. Here's a photo of one that's laying "face down" that will give you a better view.

Seven π Cornerhorn, during construction

You can see why they are affectionately called "doghouses" by many that build or buy them. When you put 'em on their face, they look just like a doghouse!

The horn is formed by the room's corner, itself. There is more information about the characteristic of this horn shape on the post called "Cornerhorns."

Thanks! and a question [message #38948 is a reply to message #38945] Wed, 06 November 2002 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you again.

I spent a while going through links, and I it seemed to me that you like the JDL 2226's a lot, but don't mention the Delta 15 as much.

Is there anything you can put your finger on? I'm interested in sensitivity because I run SET's. But most importantly, I am not looking for a one-frequency sub. I'm interested in the most musical bass boxes I can find.

Any comments on the sound of various 15" drivers (for music only - not HT)?

Regards,

Len

Theater seven π vs. Professional seven π [message #38950 is a reply to message #38948] Wed, 06 November 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Len!

You wrote:

>> I spent a while going through links, and I it seemed to me that
>> you like the JDL 2226's a lot, and don't mention a liking for the
>> Eminence Delta 15's.

You know, you're probably right about the number of times the 2226 is mentioned and the fewer mentions of the Delta 15. I do like JBL Professional Series drivers, that's for sure. But you might check for discussions about the Theater Series four π and seven π Speakers, which contain Delta 15's. The Theater four π is my most popular large-format loudspeaker, and the Delta 15 is Eminence's most popular 15 inch driver. To tell the truth, I like the Delta 15 a lot and I find the seven π cornerhorn implementation sounds great using this driver.

There are two places where the Delta 15 really shines. The first, and most commonly stated reason for preference of the Delta 15 on this forum, is its "tube friendliness." It is really a superb performer on small signal tube amps, which are popular with this forum's regulars. They sound clean and tight, and the midrange sounds pure. To me, the combination has a "vintage" sound that reminds me of the great sound systems of "yesteryear."

And another place that I like these speakers is for home theater, hence the "Theater Series" name. Watch a movie using a pair of Theater Series speakers - particularly a high-impact, high-energy movie - and you'll really appreciate the Theater Series offerings. These speakers have a huge dynamic range, which is what makes horn speakers so attractive to me. Their efficiency combined with high power-handling ability gives them that huge dynamic range which only a good modern horn speaker can deliver.

>> Is there anything you can put your finger on? I'm interested in
>> sensitivity because I run SET's. But most importantly, I am not
>> looking for a one-frequency sub. I'm interested in the most
>> musical bass boxes I can find.

If you're running SET amplifiers, then you'll definitely prefer the Delta 15 to the JBL 2226. This is most true with the small signal SET's, which are most common. If you have one of the high-power SETS, it won't matter as much, but SET's above 20 watts are rare. So if you're running less than 10 or 20 watts, most would agree that the Theater Series four or seven π Speakers will be better for you than the equivalent Professional Series.

Take care!

Wayne

Thanks again! <nt> [message #38951 is a reply to message #38950] Wed, 06 November 2002 20:52 Go to previous message
Baron

Previous Topic: 2 Pi's: first listen
Next Topic: Any one seen this?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 12:28:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers