Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi Pro vs Bottlehead Straight 8 (or Wayne is right again!)
4Pi Pro vs Bottlehead Straight 8 (or Wayne is right again!) [message #38911] Sun, 03 November 2002 14:06 Go to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I had the opportunity last night to try my 4Pi pros on an Audio Electronics Supply SE-1 amplifier. Thru the miracle of the internet a fellow builder and tweaker from the bottlehead forum looked me up and told me about his Straight 8/set amp project and asked if I was interested in giving our gear a comparison. What a golden opportunity I thought, I had long been wanting to check out the tube deal and finally here was a chance, so I packed up my Pi's my old Crown amp, some cable and my Luxman preamp and off to Blackstrap I went (30 miles south of here.) (That's right, forgot the digital camera....grrrrrr)
After unpacking everything, Ed and me fire up his combo. I must say his "budget" speakers sounded great. Way more bass than I would have ever thought a 5" (ok 16 of them) speaker could have ever mustered, nice top end and they looked FANTASTIC, guess building furniture for a living paid off for ED!
My turn, same tunes on the Pi SS system. Also sound great, but different. Pi's were much more forward, midrange wasn't as good as the 16 5" woofers(no real surprise there when you think about it) but the bass was much more visaral, and the highs were kind of crunchy at times (think my choices of crossover components is largely responsible for that, Solen caps and cement resistors).
Now for the test I've waiting for, 4Pi Pro and 3 watt SET amp. This one had me going for a while. Same tunes, different again, mids and top much nicer, smoother and more detailed. Plenty of volume but the bass was GONE. However, even with the bottom end seriously attenuated compared to much more powerful SS amp, the music was very enjoyable. I played a R.L. Burnside CD that while being great material was barely listenable at times, abrasive and in your face, with the tube amp it was a different cd, much more detailed, still old time bluesy (even thought it's only 2 years old) but much improved over the SS version.
Final test. Ed wanted to check out my cables on his system. Being somewhat skeptical of the whole wire debate, he wanted to check this out. So, unhooked the 2 strands of 4VS Kimber Kable from my gear and hook it to his. (HEHEHEHEHEEH) Third time I've done this, third time same results, noticably tighter sound, cleaned up the mids and top, punchier bass. Another convert....that's all I'm goin' say about it....gotta love AB tests.
So now where....oh ya...another buddie is waiting for a 40 watt Tube amp to show up.....stay tOOned.
Kelly

Re: 4Pi Pro vs Bottlehead Straight 8 (or Wayne is right again!) [message #38912 is a reply to message #38911] Sun, 03 November 2002 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laoye is currently offline  laoye
Chancellor
On Pi 4 pro (2227-based), I compared a 10W SET (Berning Siegfried 811) vs. a 150W transistor amp (Sim Audio W5). I thought my wife put it best: the Sim had more bass thump, but the Siegfried knows how to swing.
... so what was Wayne right about??? <nt> [message #38927 is a reply to message #38911] Mon, 04 November 2002 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inquiring minds want to k is currently offline  inquiring minds want to k
Esquire
Re: ... so what was Wayne right about??? <nt> [message #38929 is a reply to message #38927] Mon, 04 November 2002 15:27 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I asked Wayne about driving 4Pi Pro's with an AES SE-1 tube amp and he told me that it wasn't a good mix. This was borne out in AB comparisons with other amps. The AES/Pi combination played plenty loud but the bottom end was quite attenuated. Still sounded great thought.
Kelly
Previous Topic: Ready to Build 3pi speakers ... shopping list?
Next Topic: Seven Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 07 12:24:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout