Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » just starting
just starting [message #38852] Sat, 26 October 2002 14:34 Go to next message
Naris Vipatapat is currently offline  Naris Vipatapat
Esquire
I am looking to buy the 2 pi studio series tower speakers. But before i do, i was just wondering. For the cabinet, is it just a hollow box or do put something inside. Also, would i beable to put a horn on the inside of the cabinet? And, becuase i've never done this before...i don't undertand all the instructions that came with the email...would someone be able to explain them to me?...thanx
-Naris
Re: just starting [message #38853 is a reply to message #38852] Sat, 26 October 2002 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The cabinet is just a hollow box but you will want to line it with R13 insulation on the side, the front and the top inside surfaces. You'll also want to put braces between panels that preload them and tie them together. Put a cross-brace just below the woofer and another about a foot from the bottom of the cabinet, and span the cross-section with a sheet of insulation.
Re: just starting [message #38854 is a reply to message #38852] Sat, 26 October 2002 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitsware is currently offline  hitsware
Baron
I am looking to buy the 2 pi studio series tower speakers. But before i do, i was just wondering. For the cabinet, is it just a hollow box or do put something inside.

usually some sort of soft stuff is attached to the walls of a bass reflex

Also, would i beable to put a horn on the inside of the cabinet?

a horn is a type of cabinet rather than an add on ....Like the Pi6 or Pi7

And, becuase i've never done this before...i don't undertand all the instructions that came with the email...would someone be able to explain them to me?...thanx

Pi is famous for their customer support, and others on this forum are happy to help

Hi Naris [message #38858 is a reply to message #38852] Mon, 28 October 2002 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Have you begun building your Pi Speakers yet?
Would I be out of line asking if you are having trouble getting the materials in another country as some others had? (I'm always intrigued by the reach of the internet)
What tools do you have?
All of us here would like nothing better than to answer your questions, but we need some of the above information from you.
Briefly, make the box to Wayne's outside dimensions with MDF, Particle Board, Plywood or locally grown hardwood glued up into the correct size panels. Just butt join them together. You can use white carpenters glue, polyurethane glue or even the Liquid Nails cited recently. Screw or nail the panels together until the glue is dry. Or if you have clamps/cramps, use both clamps and screws.
It's easier and safer to cut the circles in the baffles before you glue the baffle on the box. You have the 3 sizes from Wayne.
As you'll need to do a lot of work laying the speakers on their backs, wait to install the binding posts until you are ready to screw down the drivers.
Seal all the inside corners of the box with caulking.
Cut and fit braces inside the cabinet before attaching the baffle.Just make them a "hair" oversize, put glue on each end and push them into place. One horizontal and one vertical. They can be 3 or 4" wide and 3/4" thick. The box material is fine.
Then attach 3 to 4" thick fiberglass insulation, or wool or cotton batting to 3 of the inside walls. Finally, screw and glue down the baffle.
Install the speaker terminals, make the connections to the drivers and then attach the port and drivers to the baffle.
Play music.
Smile.
My website has pics of partially assembled 2Pi's, although my design is a little different.

Merry Pranks Website

Hi Bill! [message #38859 is a reply to message #38858] Mon, 28 October 2002 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Glad to see you here! I was wonderin' about you!

What's your latest project? Keep us posted...

Glad you found this site [message #38866 is a reply to message #38852] Tue, 29 October 2002 03:24 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I missed the post in which you asked for my email address over on the Single Driver board.
There is a great community here, lots of help available, terrific speakers.

John
JLapaire@BarnesAero.com

Previous Topic: A Couple of Speaker Building Tips
Next Topic: PiAlign question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 01 15:21:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers