Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A Couple of Speaker Building Tips
A Couple of Speaker Building Tips [message #38855] Sat, 26 October 2002 17:34 Go to next message
cddeluca@telocity.com is currently offline  cddeluca@telocity.com
Esquire
FWIW, I've been having very good luck lately with a couple of speakers and I thought I'd share the experience. First, glue. Ive been using Liquid Nails Foamboard adhesive (gold tube, blue lettering). I bought this because it is the only Liquid nails formulation that specifically claims compatibility with masonite, but I've used it on MDF and it holds very well. It has the added advantage of being gap-filling. It hardens something slightly less than rock hard, but the joints seem as good as with Titebond.

The second discovery is Rock-On Screws. These are sold to attach cement board to studs. They countersink themselves in MDF because the underside of the heads are ridged to cut away the material under the head. They self-drill so with a little caution you can really minimize splitting MDF when running screws into the edge. They're a little expensive, but I've driven close to 500 of them and never broke one. I've broken about 5 philips bits (good ones too, DeWalt), but I never sheared off a screw head. They're a world better than ordinary sheet rock screws of any variety.

Good tips, thanks! [message #38856 is a reply to message #38855] Sat, 26 October 2002 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

cool [message #38857 is a reply to message #38855] Sun, 27 October 2002 19:11 Go to previous message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
thanks
Previous Topic: Wayne, how cool it is! (a 1 Pi story)
Next Topic: just starting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 01 17:20:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout