Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » combination stands and subs for 1 pi?
combination stands and subs for 1 pi? [message #38765] Mon, 21 October 2002 17:54 Go to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I've got most of my system moved to the new house and have discovered a problem. The listening room has hardwood floors and my current B&W DM 601 speakers are on cheap B&W metal stands with spikes. With this set up I can visibly detect that the speakers rock back and forth a fraction of an inch when the music plays. This is bad. I was going to use these same stands with my 1 pi's and it is obvious that this is a bad idea. I am thinking about building a wood column with the same profile as the 1 pi to use as a stand. I thought I could fill it with sand to add mass and possibly dedicate part of the chamber to house an Alpha 10. What would be the optimal air space for this woofer and the port dia/length? I'll probably biamp the system and use an electronic crossover at around 80Hz xover point.

Thanks for any input.

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Hardwood floors [message #38768 is a reply to message #38765] Mon, 21 October 2002 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Tap firmly on the floor with your foot. Does it sound resonant like a large wooden bass drum?

Hardwood floors are attractive, but they can make setting up a sound system very problematic. Here's a link to previous discussions about hardwood floors, which has some suggestions for solving the problems you'll face.

Re: Hardwood floors [message #38769 is a reply to message #38768] Mon, 21 October 2002 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yep, you pretty much described it. From the old posts you referenced it sounds like theres not a simple solution if I want to keep the room.

No problem! I actually had to practically beg to get the wife to let me use the great room (with hardwood floors) as the audio room. The tv room is smaller but has a slab floor. I'll just swap rooms and everyone will be happy. I just lose the ocean view.....

So what do you think about my combo stand/sub idea? any recommendations to make it play pretty deep? Maybe the same air space and tuning as a 2 pi tower?

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Now you're cookin'! [message #38771 is a reply to message #38769] Mon, 21 October 2002 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good ideas on both counts:

1. Move the audio room to the one with the concrete slab.
2. Make towers that double as stands for your one π's and cabinets for your subs.

Sounds like you have a great system in the works!

Ocean view ??? [message #38783 is a reply to message #38769] Tue, 22 October 2002 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rider is currently offline  Rider
Baron

Sounds like a rough life !!!! Next you'll start talking about steaks, wine, and good music. Life's a bitch (can we say that in this forum?)

Enjoy the Pi's.

Grant.

Re: Ocean view ??? [message #38791 is a reply to message #38783] Tue, 22 October 2002 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yeah the ocean really sucks. The past tenants left 3 bottles of properly stored, 10 year old Zinfandel (Fieldbrook, a local winery) in the garage. I'm more of a Cab Sav or Merlot enthusiast, but as long as the stuff hasn't turned to vinegar I'll be happy.

Any wine experts out there? Is Zinfandel a wine that doesn't age gracefully?

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

10 year old Zin can be dangerous [message #38795 is a reply to message #38791] Wed, 23 October 2002 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I operate an old-wine disposal facility and will be glad to help take care of any carefully packaged bottles sent my way.

John

Re: 10 year old Zin can be dangerous [message #38804 is a reply to message #38795] Wed, 23 October 2002 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thats what I had hoped. Thanks. I'll uncork one this weekend or next and let you know how it turned out.

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Zin update.... [message #38822 is a reply to message #38804] Fri, 25 October 2002 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
The first bottle turned to piss! The cork looked good except for an accumulation of sulfites, (looked like dark "salt" on it.)and the wine was a bit murky. It tasted acidic, almost carbonated. One sip was enough.

Should the others be the same, can this be used to generate a "mother" for making some boutique cooking vinegar?

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile.

Naah, pitch it. [message #38825 is a reply to message #38822] Fri, 25 October 2002 11:27 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
If it's just a little nasty, it'd probably be fine, but...

You can tell by the way you reacted when you first tasted it. If you said "this tastes kinda like piss" it's probably ok for vinegar, but if you sprayed it all over the cheese and olive bread, then ran to the fridge for a Budweiser, I'd just pitch it.

Might have been nasty when they bottled it.

John

Previous Topic: kilomax 15 in theater 4pi box
Next Topic: Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 15:02:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers