Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne: Recess drivers into baffle to control diffraction?
Wayne: Recess drivers into baffle to control diffraction? [message #38777] Tue, 22 October 2002 06:59 Go to next message
BobCat is currently offline  BobCat
Chancellor
Good Morning Wayne,

Regarding the Tower 2 Pi's:

1) Should I recess drivers into the front baffle in order to control diffraction? Or does the removal of material weaken the baffle too much? Or should the baffle be made out of 1" stock?

2) Does closed cell foam work very well as a speaker gasket?

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Wayne: Recess drivers into baffle to control diffraction? [message #38781 is a reply to message #38777] Tue, 22 October 2002 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

>> 1) Should I recess drivers into the front baffle in order to
>> control diffraction? Or does the removal of material weaken the
>> baffle too much? Or should the baffle be made out of 1" stock?

Baffle recess is attractive, so it can be done for that reason alone. As to diffraction, the edge is insignificant at midrange frequencies, in my opinion. It is too small to have any effect.

>> 2) Does closed cell foam work very well as a speaker gasket?

No, it is too brittle.

Re: Wayne: Recess drivers into baffle to control diffraction? [message #38784 is a reply to message #38781] Tue, 22 October 2002 14:39 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

"Frost King Fingertip Rope Caulk" is excellent to put under the speaker flanges and seal any part of the box, terminal cups for instance. Get it at any HD, Lowe's, TruValu, etc,.
You could double the baffle like I did on my Theatre 4's. Drill the pilot hole for the router jig thru both pieces at once then cut out the circles the corresponding different sizes. Recessing even 1" stock will leave you without enough 'meat' for the screws.
Don't forget to post pictures.

Previous Topic: Variation on a Theater 4pi
Next Topic: @wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 11 22:51:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers