Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Oops - 4 Pi pro mistake...
Oops - 4 Pi pro mistake... [message #38760] Mon, 21 October 2002 16:04 Go to next message
laoye is currently offline  laoye
Chancellor
I'm building a pair of Pi 4 pros. Actually, I contracted a craftsman who is building the cabinets for me to Wayne's spec.

Yesterday I realized that I had failed to tell him to make the pair mirror opposites. I asked him if he could make the change, but it's too late, the speakers are almost done.

So, there are a couple things to consider:

1. Does it matter much at all? I know that the distance of tweeter to woofer does make some difference in terms of the smoothness of combined amplitude response. I'd like both channels to be the same from the listening position. But is this difference going to be signficant? I will position the speakers very close to side walls in case that matters.

2. I suppose I could just make a third cabinet, and hold on to the extra left speaker for a center fill. Would the dispersion characteristics of a Pi 4 pro be suitable for a center channel in a typical HT setup?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

- Ken

Mirrored for aesthetics [message #38761 is a reply to message #38760] Mon, 21 October 2002 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There's no performance penalty from not having them in mirror images. I do this purely for aesthetic reasons.
Re: Mirrored for aesthetics [message #38764 is a reply to message #38761] Mon, 21 October 2002 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laoye is currently offline  laoye
Chancellor
Thanks, Wayne.

Can you comment as to whether the Pi 4 Pro's dispersion is suitable for use as a center channel speaker in an HT setup?

Thanks again for all your help!

- Ken

Directivity for home theater speakers [message #38766 is a reply to message #38764] Mon, 21 October 2002 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Professional Series four π Speaker employs a 90x40 horn, and I prefer that for home sound systems. Dispersion widens at bass frequencies, but narrows in the vocal range as the midwoofer begins to become directional and matches the tweeter at the crossover point.
Re: Directivity for home theater speakers [message #38774 is a reply to message #38766] Tue, 22 October 2002 02:46 Go to previous message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Might this be a good time to discuss grill covers as a possibility?
Previous Topic: Wayne: Refinements for Tower 2 Pi - Good or Bad?
Next Topic: Variation on a Theater 4pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 00:16:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout