Home » Audio » General » Rocky Mountain AudioFest
Re: RMAF Pictures [message #3864 is a reply to message #3859] Tue, 24 October 2006 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Hi Jim,

My room was the one probably closest to the Roger Russel system, and since it was a line source the sound propagated very well indeed (something I wasn't overly appreciative of under the circumstances!).

Vocals were very nicely rendered. I thought the top end a bit more rolled-off than normal from my vantage point (typically standing in the hall at the open doorway). The bass was a bit heavy, but that's probably an EQ setting issue. Dynamics seemed very good.

Based on my limited awareness of what it takes to get a flat top end from a line array and deep bass from drivers with a resonant frequency well above cutoff, they must be cranking in a lot of boost at both ends of the spectrum. Power handling was given as 250 watts, which is 10 watts per little full-range driver. They looked like metal cone Tang Bands to my uneducated eye, but that's just a guess.

I would say the Russels were definitely among the better systems, but then as you know I like a line-source speaker that does a good job from well off-axis!

I think that approach is very viable application of the line source concept. Whether it's better than a good two way, I dunno. I sure liked what I heard from one of your designs at MWAF a few years ago.

Think of it as a fairly expensive speaker that's helping to "get the word out" about line arrays.

Duke

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message