Home » Audio » General » Rocky Mountain AudioFest
Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3850 is a reply to message #3849] Mon, 23 October 2006 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds good Fred. Would love to hear your impressions of the best of what you heard as well (esp the experiemntal stuff).
-akhilesh

Re: Rocky Mountain AudioFest [message #3851 is a reply to message #3850] Mon, 23 October 2006 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Was David Cope there with Audio Note? Did you get a chance to visit with Duke LeJeune? We're all eager to hear about your trip!

RMAF Pictures [message #3852 is a reply to message #3849] Mon, 23 October 2006 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
See the link below. My camera ran out of memory before I got everything I wanted, so some rooms like Audio Note aren't included.

Stereophile Show Coverage [message #3853 is a reply to message #3837] Mon, 23 October 2006 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wandered over to the Stereophile web site a few minutes ago to see their early show coverage. Notice any difference between their pictures and mine? As usual their favorite brands are covered while the non mainstream brands are ignored. In those cases where a non mainstream shares a room with a pet brand they mention the name of the former but little else. See their coverage of the Blue Circle / Selah Audio room for an expample. Completely missing from their coverage are Van Alstine / Salk Sound, RAW Acoustics, GR Research / Dodd Audio, Tyler Acoustics, Azzolina, Daedalus, etc.

I understand Stereophile is a business, and they have an obligation to promote the brands that advertise in their magazine, but their intentional avoidance of the non-mainstream brands that offer the greatest value but don't advertise is a disservice to their readers.

Re: Stereophile Show Coverage [message #3854 is a reply to message #3853] Mon, 23 October 2006 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't think DIYers are their target demographic, Fred.
Well to do males who don't know Ohm's law are.
Such folk buy on brands. Stereophile can create brands.
hence its power in that segment of the market...a segment that almost no one on ART inhabits.
-akhilesh

Re: RMAF Pictures [message #3855 is a reply to message #3852] Mon, 23 October 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Fred,
I saw all your pics. Great job! I don;t feel so bad now, becuase I got to see it through your camera!
Seems like you were really impressed by Salk's HT-3s. would that be a fair statement?
-akhilesh

Re: Stereophile Show Coverage [message #3856 is a reply to message #3854] Mon, 23 October 2006 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree about DIY'ers not being a significant demographic, but all of the manufacturers I mentioned mostly sell completed products and some sell only completed products. Their target buyer is the same person who now buys from dealers. The only difference is their presidents empty their own trash can, they don't advertise in Stereophile, and their prices are about half that of the mainstream brands.

Re: RMAF Pictures [message #3857 is a reply to message #3855] Mon, 23 October 2006 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, the HT-3 sounded as good to my ears as some very expensive speakers like the Gershman Black Swans ($30K).

Re: RMAF Pictures [message #3858 is a reply to message #3857] Mon, 23 October 2006 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent! Looks to me like you got all the best stuff. I don't really care about statement products from companies that care more about image than quality, that's not where real innovation comes from. You got the real good stuff from people that are passionate about making quality products, the smaller companies with talented designers.

Re: RMAF Pictures [message #3859 is a reply to message #3852] Mon, 23 October 2006 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Fred,

I would like to hear more of your thoughts on the R. Russell IDS25 (25 single full range drivers line array). Do they tempt you to replace your current line arrays with them? How effective was the equalization of them? Another person commented that the bass was overly EQ'ed. Thanks.

Jim

Previous Topic: Rocky Mountain Audiofest: This visitor's thoughts
Next Topic: Vinyl Garage Sale. Richardson, Texas Nov 3,4,5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 02:17:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers