Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Re: Grill Cloth
Re: Grill Cloth [message #38516] Tue, 01 October 2002 12:41 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had a very nice reply from Pat McGinty, Mr. Meadowlark Audio whom I contacted about grill cloth.
He suggested:
"That open cell air cleaner material sold by commercial ventilation guys is a good choice at the hobbyist level. Heck, Wilson's Watt/Puppies used it until just a few years back. It's cheap and cuts with a razor blade!"
Now all I have to do is find one of those 'commercial ventilation guys'!
Thought others might want to know.

Re: Grill Cloth [message #38517 is a reply to message #38516] Tue, 01 October 2002 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
I think you might have solved a need......thanks
Re: Grill Cloth [message #38524 is a reply to message #38516] Tue, 01 October 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hey,
I think this is the same stuff Crown filters their fan cooled amps with.
I have also seen the same stuff used in window air conditioners, but that
would only work for small speakers.(up to 16" x 24") The stuff crown uses
is nice and black, very porous and may be found where Crown amps are serviced.
I don't know if most folks would have big rolls of it though. Just a thought.
This other stuff (see link below) looks charcoal or grey, but definately comes
in big rolls and 3/32" thickness. I assume you would want the most porous,
they have 4 grades.

Re: Grill Cloth [message #38527 is a reply to message #38516] Tue, 01 October 2002 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's good information, thanks. We used to build speaker grilles, and they were really great looking things made of wicker stretched over a frame. But the place that made 'em wanted a fortune, so we stopped having them made pretty quickly. Open cell foam works very well too; You can just cut to size and attach with Velcro. For a retro look, some of the grille cloth sold by Antique Electronic Supply is very attractive too.

Speaking of retro, check out the latest addition to my growing radio collection. I always wanted one of these:

Zenith TransOceanic G500 Shortwave Radio

It's a Zenith TransOceanic G500, which was made from 1946 to 1949. I always wanted one of these, and was made available that it would be auctioned. So I bid on it, and was really sort of emotionally attached so that I probably paid too much. I guess I'm a sucker, but it sure is clean.

Zenith TransOceanic G500 Shortwave Radio, rear view

This view shows that the radio has been kept in very good shape, and that even the owners manual has been kept intact. Then again, I think most owners of these radios kept the manuals with them; It wasn't like other product offerings in that the manual was more important to owners of something like this than it might have been for the owner of a table AM radio.

In hindsight, I understand that lots of these and other similar radios are auctioned on E-Bay every day. So if any of you are interested in stuff like this, you might go there and get one.

those cool old radios remind me... [message #38530 is a reply to message #38516] Tue, 01 October 2002 23:50 Go to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
I have seen vintage fender tweed in wide rolls online.
oxblood w/gold pinstripes would look good on John's speaks IMO. hmmm, might have to try some myself.

Cool radios Wayne. My mom just gave me one her uncle gave her in the 60's. it is a lot older than that i think. I might have to fix it up.
(if I learn how)

Thomas

Previous Topic: 4-pi hig freqency response
Next Topic: 1" x 2" Braces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 01:39:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers