Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4-pi hig freqency response
4-pi hig freqency response [message #38505] Mon, 30 September 2002 14:35 Go to next message
JBLman is currently offline  JBLman
Chancellor
Just finished constructing 4-pi studio monitors with all JBL componments JBL-2226h (15"LF) and JBL-2426 (1"-HF).The speakers sound real good, but when I compare them to the Klipsch Heresy that they replace, they don't seem to have the high end response of the Klipsch. This is most noticable for cymbals. They standout with the Klipsch but are very subdued with the JBL compression driver and H290 hor. Any suggestions. Is this a function of the crossovers and the resistors that that tie to the HF driver??
Tweeter compensation cable assembly [message #38508 is a reply to message #38505] Mon, 30 September 2002 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The 2426 has good high frequency response for a 1" exit compression driver. Are you sure you built the compensation network properly? If you have a 12dB compensation network, then cymbols should sound crisp. But if you don't have the network, they will really lack luster.

So let's look over the tweeter cable assembly together. Please tell me what and how you have connected.

Re: Tweeter compensation cable assembly [message #38513 is a reply to message #38508] Tue, 01 October 2002 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JBLman is currently offline  JBLman
Chancellor
the two speakers are JBL 2226 and 2426. The crossover is of Eminence construction. I'm not sure if you modified it in any way. and I don't have the box (which is at home) so can't provide the nominclature written on the side. Included with the package are a cluster of six resistor blocks. I connected the blocks to the HF output of the crossover, the other end of the wire, of course, is connected to the HF driver. Does all sound right? Is that the correct crossover?
Re: Tweeter compensation cable assembly [message #38515 is a reply to message #38513] Tue, 01 October 2002 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It sounds like you've connected everything correctly. Are these crossovers we built? Did you order anything from us? Or did you build everything yourself?

Here are a couple of things to try, and describe what you hear. I think we can narrow this down.

1. Disconnect the tweeter's cable assembly from the crossover, and connect a straight wire from the crossover's tweeter output to the tweeter. This will allow you to compare the uncompensated horn to the compensated horn, and should give us an idea if your tweeter cable assemblies are in good working order.

2. Reconnect the compensation cable asseblies, but do them one at a time and listen to the speakers individually. Listen to one speaker with compensation and one without. Compare the one having compensation, listening for reduced midrange and increased top end. When the compensation cable assembly is connected, you should hear a big difference, so make sure this is true for each speaker. If either one fails to reduce the midrange and allow the highest treble to play much louder - both by a significant amount - then something is wrong with one or both of the cable assemblies.

Check those things and let me know, and we'll narrow this down together.

bypass cap installed on your cable assemblies?(nt) [message #38519 is a reply to message #38515] Tue, 01 October 2002 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
nt
That's the most common cause of this symptom [message #38529 is a reply to message #38519] Tue, 01 October 2002 20:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I suspect the tweeter compensation cable assembly was built improperly. After we get a response, we'll probably know.
Previous Topic: Downsizing Pi plans
Next Topic: Re: Grill Cloth
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 16:31:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout