Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » delta 12LF goes high enough?
delta 12LF goes high enough? [message #38501] Mon, 30 September 2002 12:33 Go to next message
bqc is currently offline  bqc
Chancellor
to be used with ksn 1038? Eminence frequency plots shows sensitivity
down to 92 db at 3.5 KHZ. And it looks like KSN 1038 starts picking up
also at around 3.5 kHZ. Is this a good combination for stage monitor
in a 1 cubic foot box? Or should I use a Kappa 12 or delta pro 12
instead?

Re: delta 12LF goes high enough? [message #38502 is a reply to message #38501] Mon, 30 September 2002 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I am sometimes questioned about the performance of large format drivers above 1kHz, but I rarely get asked about their performance at 3kHz. I suspect that on-axis, it will sound alright, something like a full-range driver. But the "LF" versions rarely perform well at higher frequencies and the Delta 12LF is something of an exception. Let us know how it sounds if you decide to do it.
Re: delta 12LF goes high enough? [message #38503 is a reply to message #38502] Mon, 30 September 2002 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bqc is currently offline  bqc
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne
So you are saying the Delta 12LF is an exception to the rule that
LF driver dont perform well at higher frequencies? Which means that
it would do ok?

I heard people talked about driver break up mode and how it is unpleasant
to listen to. Does driver break up mode usually happen at the
high end of its frequency range? If so then how can one
use the the Alpha 10 in the Studio 2pi's all the way up to its upper range without hearing any of the break up mode?

Re: delta 12LF goes high enough? [message #38507 is a reply to message #38503] Mon, 30 September 2002 14:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
"Break-up modes" are frequencies where the cone twists and has ripples across its surface instead of moving as a rigid piston in a single, unified motion. Some speakers get very loud and harsh in the breakup region, others are pretty controlled. Some designers try to avoid using the speaker in this mode for technical reasons, but others use the increased output to their advantage. Single driver designs, especially those with whizzer cones are an example of purpose-designed use of controlled breakup mode behavior.
Previous Topic: 4Pi Pro crossover
Next Topic: Wayne: Best Pi for Decware Zen Amp?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 09:16:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio