Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » SPICE and Piezo Questions
SPICE and Piezo Questions [message #38469] Sat, 28 September 2002 06:20 Go to next message
JohnB is currently offline  JohnB
Esquire
Hello:

I've been interested in modelling the Pi designs that use the piezo tweeters (using AIM-Spice), and have a couple or so questions:

Using what data I can find regarding the CTS piezo, the model is: "...like a lossy capacitor to the amplifier...". The circuit is basically a capacitor in series with a resistor, with the resistor representing the dissipation loss. The question is - would the resistance actually take part in an AC analysis model? If so, does anybody have any idea of an appropriate value for this resistance given 2.83V across the terminals?

How are the Vin and source impedance values chosen in the models provided in the Pi Crossover Spice circuits? Am I wrong in thinking that the series impedance would actually be quite low, and an input voltage of 2.83V is the reference standard?

A question regarding the mechanical Q of the 2 Pi Tower speaker, I calculate an Fr of 45 and a Q of around 7. Is that correct?

Thanks for any info.

John B.

SPICE and Piezo Answers [message #38472 is a reply to message #38469] Sat, 28 September 2002 12:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If you put resistance in series with a primarily capacitive load such as a piezoeletric tweeter, the resistance will definitely have an effect on the AC behavior of the circuit. It forms a low-pass filter that will show up in Spice in the AC analysis. To make the model even more complete, you might want to add tank circuits that emulate its resonances. You'll notice one at 5khz, for example.

About the source voltage and impedance in Spice models, you can set this to whatever values you prefer. Source voltage is whatever you want it to be, and source impedance can be modeled using an input resistor.

As for the mechanical resonance of the two π tower, the cabinet is 4.5ft3 and the Helmholtz frequency is 40Hz.

Previous Topic: Insulating subwoofers
Next Topic: Wayne, now you've got me thinking...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 10:09:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio