Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Predicting room boundary reinforcement
Predicting room boundary reinforcement [message #38440] Wed, 25 September 2002 19:42 Go to next message
laoye is currently offline  laoye
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

I understand that speaker response will vary depending on proximity to room boundaries such as floors and walls.

For a given distance of a driver to a boundary at a given frequency, how do I calculate the amount of reinforcement? Is the driver to boundary distance measured from the center of the driver or from its closest edge?

Also, I've read that boundary reinforcement is 6db of sound pressure vs. 3db of sound power. What is the difference? Which would you expect corresponds to the db-calibrated volume control my preamp?

Thanks!

- Ken

Re: Predicting room boundary reinforcement [message #38441 is a reply to message #38440] Wed, 25 September 2002 21:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Basically, a room boundary sets radiating angle if it is within a 1/4 wavelength. If a room boundary is further than that, it acts as a reflector instead. The goal is to take advantage of these boundary conditions, and to avoid situations that will cause cancellation nulls to form.

I'd suggest Chapter 2 of George Augsperger's "JBL Professional Sound System Design Manual." Chapters 5 and 6 also contain excellent reference material for things like reflected energies, the reverberent field and room equalization. A good discussion about room placement and treatments was written by Siegfried Linkwitz in his website article called "Room acoustics." Another excellent reference article is "Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction," by Dr. Floyd Toole.

Previous Topic: More stupid hide glue tricks
Next Topic: Question for Till E and or Wayne; What next?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 19 14:27:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio