Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Speakers 101
Speakers 101 [message #38420] Mon, 23 September 2002 22:15 Go to next message
wineguy is currently offline  wineguy
Esquire
Who can answer this:

Some speakers are considered "inefficient" or "difficult to match up." What does that mean? I have a pair of JM Reynaud Arpeggione, 4 ohm speakers with such a reputation. For example, what kid of amplifier would work well with a such speakers, what kind would not work at all?

I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me.

Cheers,

Re: Speakers 101 [message #38423 is a reply to message #38420] Tue, 24 September 2002 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Loudspeaker efficiency is a measurement of how well it transforms electrical energy into acoustic energy. An inefficient speaker is one that requires a lot of power to generate a relatively small volume of sound.
Re: Speakers 101 [message #38425 is a reply to message #38420] Tue, 24 September 2002 07:48 Go to previous message
Rider is currently offline  Rider
Baron

Hi Wineguy.

I went to the general "speaker" forum and did a search on "Arpeggione". 37 posts showed up, some which included people talking about which amps they used. In one the poster was talking about his 140 watt amp that he used to drive them.

Some of the people on this forum are into running under 10 watt amplifiers which power their speakers fairly loud. That's because of the efficiency of the speakers. Note: the fact that speakers are really efficient doesn't mean they make good sound, it just means it takes less power to drive them louder.

Grant.

Previous Topic: 1pi port answer
Next Topic: Need Crossover Schematic for Premium Stage Four Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 12:00:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers