Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two Pi inductors
Two Pi inductors [message #38372] Thu, 19 September 2002 12:34 Go to next message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
Hey Wayne,
What about these inductors?
They all have a bit lower DCR than the one you posted:

Parts Express:
# 266-816 $3.75
Specifications: • Wire Gauge: 18 • Core Type: Air • DCR: .32 ohms • Power Handling: 300 watts • Overall Diameter: 1-3/4" • +/- 2% tolerance. Made in the U.S.A.

Erse Electronics (zalytron.com):
.47mh • DCR- .131 • $6.02

.55mh • DCR- .149 • $6.59

Other than price what would be the pro’s or con’s in using an “audiophile” or high quality inductor? I Know Solen and Alpha Goertz make a few flavors. The Specs. are on the Parts Connexion Web site. Any Thoughts?

Curious,
David

Re: Two Pi inductors [message #38378 is a reply to message #38372] Fri, 20 September 2002 11:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi David!

There are some suitable inductors with larger conductors that will work just fine. Examples include a 14 guage coil and an 18 guage coil. You'll notice that resistance of the 14 guage part is 0.14 ohms, the 18 guage part is about double that at 0.32 ohms and the 20 guage part has 0.5 ohms resistance. Each of these handles more power than the midrange/woofer, so current capacity isn't an issue. Only Q is of interest.

Each of these coils acts the same above 1kHz, where they're designed to work. They don't do much of anything below that. But added series resistance can have an effect on bass-reflex tuning, and that's really where DC resistance potentially becomes an issue. Series resistance changes Q, with increasing resistance raising the Q.

Of course, larger coils will keep system Q lower. But when I analyzed the effects of these fractional ohm resistances on the system, I find that the increased Q from 0.5 ohm added series resistance produces less than 1dB elevation in the 100Hz region. So that made the decision for me; This is exactly what we want from this part. There was no need to use a larger coil. But you certainly won't hurt the design by using a larger coil either.

Take care!

Wayne

Previous Topic: Help! I'm looking for crossover suggestions for JBL 2445/2446 compression drivers!
Next Topic: Two pi: Motorola tweeter help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 23:24:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout