Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » transmission line enclosures
transmission line enclosures [message #38262] Wed, 11 September 2002 20:19 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi wayne, i just bought a whack of inventory from an insolvent audiophile retailer. hooked up a pair of dcm time window 7's ( a seven sided tower with 2 9" woofers, 2 6" midbass and 3 tweeters). these speakers are 92db efficient and all drives are situated off axis from the listening position. although they lack the dynamics of your pi speakers i am blown away by the bass response of these speakers. everyone who listens to these asks where the sub is. they are a transmission line enclosure. what are your thoughts on this design and can this be implemented into a pi speaker? i'd appreciate your thoughts on the pros & cons of this enclosure. i just love the low end these speakers reproduce.

cheers,

george

Re: transmission line enclosures [message #38263 is a reply to message #38262] Wed, 11 September 2002 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might want to build a pair of those tower two π Speakers sometime. They're not transmission lines, but they are physically large cabinets and are tuned like you've described.

As far as transmissions lines are concerned, they're essentially tuned cabinets like bass-reflex except they use 1/4 wave pipe resonance instead of Helmholtz resonance. The trick is to get the bass subsystem to take advantage of the waveguide's lowest standing wave node and maybe some of the lower harmonics, but to suppress all the upper harmonics.

Transmission Lines, Pipes and Ducts

reminds me of the old allison's [message #38269 is a reply to message #38262] Thu, 12 September 2002 05:00 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
the way the pairs of tweets and mids fire to the left/right at an angle. If they are TL's, I'm curious about the "tuned port" shown on the rear. Can't wait for you to open one up, shoot some pics, and fill us in on the details!:) I always found the sound of such speakers, where lots of reflected sound field is generated, to be very alluring sonically. But imaging was usually less precise, and placement was MORE critical, not less so as they state. Hey, are the "ambient" drivers wired IN, or OUT, of phase with the "mains"? Sam

wife adopted the allison enclosure as a plant stand after I "gutted" it in the interest of science...still have the tweets and mids, woofs needed new surrounds(and one was 4, one 8 ohms!?) and the 47uf caps for my zobels came from the xover board:)

Previous Topic: port size for Subs
Next Topic: Dipoles for a surround system ever try making a pair??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 13:29:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio