Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Low frequency in room cancellations
Low frequency in room cancellations [message #38253] Wed, 11 September 2002 13:46 Go to next message
Anonymous
If you have multiple subwoofer boxes (low pass 60hz) in
the same room seperated by great distances (within reason),
will the low end cancel out or is it better to group the boxes
together, ie do people place one subwoofer in each corner of the
room or both in the same corner?

Re: Low frequency in room cancellations [message #38254 is a reply to message #38253] Wed, 11 September 2002 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Well from what I have read you are better off in seperate room placements. You can use multiple subs with diferent placements to smooth the overall room response. Takes some set-up time and measurement tools but it can be done. Stereophiles Guide to Home Theater had a excellent article explaining how to do it. If I can find it I will let you know what issue.

Regards Rob

Re: Low frequency in room cancellations [message #38255 is a reply to message #38253] Wed, 11 September 2002 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If the room is large enough that the room modes all fall below the passband, then the sound acts as a reverberent field. In that case, you would want to setup speakers for constructive reinforcement, where possible. You might want to have banks of loudspeakers, left and right perhaps, and group them so they combine constructively in the middle, over as wide a range of the listening area as possible.

If the room is small enough that the Schroeder frequency is in the passband, i.e. some bass is in the modal range of the room, then you might want to distribute subs to form dense interference. The idea is to align the nodes of some subs with the anti-nodes of others. Basically, you want to average the sound field using several bass sound sources distributed around the room. Line the subs up along the stage rather than grouping them together on the left and the right.

Re: Low frequency in room cancellations [message #38256 is a reply to message #38253] Wed, 11 September 2002 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrrjm is currently offline  mrrjm
Esquire
I know I'm not an expert at this. I read in a Pro-sound manual that subwoofers should be placed right next to each other. It had something to do with the wavefronts colliding. However I don't have any personal experience with this.

Ray

Re: Low frequency in room cancellations [message #38257 is a reply to message #38255] Wed, 11 September 2002 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
I saw this and said..... cool

http://www.royaldevice.com

Diagram of design
http://www.royaldevice.com/customita1.htm

Notice how the horn loading is underneath the room
and the bass comes out of the grid. 16 woofers I think.

Pretty clever design, I like it.

Re: Low frequency in room cancellations [message #38259 is a reply to message #38256] Wed, 11 September 2002 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Outdoors or in very large spaces, that's right, exactly.
Concrete in-room horn subs [message #38260 is a reply to message #38257] Wed, 11 September 2002 17:51 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a great installation, www.RoyalDevice.com.

Another one I like a lot is www.Deviniere.Europaudio.com

Previous Topic: Crossover Utility
Next Topic: port size for Subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 19 14:16:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers