Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » yeehaw, no smoke came out
yeehaw, no smoke came out [message #38198] Thu, 05 September 2002 17:23 Go to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Marchand XM9 active crossover kit went together in about 15 hours, and was a "zero defect" project. No hum, no crosstalk, just good sound. For initial tests I just decreased the HF level adjustments by 12dB per the dial marks. Done for tonight, time to party...I'll put the unit in the rack and "neaten up" later. Oh yeah, crossed at 800Hz. of course:) But I already made some 500Hz. and 1.6kHz. freq. modules... Sam

crap, I installed the lm353's, and left the "good" opamps on the work bench...wouldn't have been prudent to "smoke" those upgrade devices anyway.

great dynamics with 200wpc LF and 100wpc HF:) gotta still be running class a.

Re: yeehaw, no smoke came out [message #38202 is a reply to message #38198] Thu, 05 September 2002 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Super cool!

The op-amps are installed in nice gold sockets, yes?

yes, they plug into sockets [message #38205 is a reply to message #38202] Fri, 06 September 2002 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
but not gold ones. I was torn between "tweak first" and wanting to hear Phil's unit "as-designed". Didn't even increase the size of a single p/s cap :) Why I bothered with wiring the dual voltage (120/240) switch I can't say. Input/output jack wiring could be shortened a few inches probably (left them the 8 inches specified-too long!). I thought "heat shrink" tubing was for sissies...but it did make for a much more professional looking finished interior (where no one can see it but me!).
The oem lm353's OPAMPS are kind of dated now, and the OPA2134's will go in their place soon, for an improvement in the s/n ratio already speced at better than 110dB, response dc to 100kHz,+/-0.2dB. Seems transparent, like can't tell it's there, just the music is a bit smoother, bass more solid. No real concrete listening tests or measurements yet, I want to play and relax with it in the system for a while.
I've been shelving these altec HF drivers at -12dB for a long while...per the XM9 dial calibrations (?), about -14dB sounds like a better overall tonal balance...I don't think any added HF compensation is needed at the moment.
This was a fun project, but man are some of those parts small...try reading the numbers on a 1n4148 diode...that's why the "helping hands" thingy came with a magnifing glass I guess. I think this is why older guys like tube gear...then they can see the resistor color codes without their glasses. Sam

wife keeps whining, "when will I fix the MC-240 tube amp"...some people are never happy :(
it's only been down about a year, I'll get to it sooner or later :)

I'd kind of been looking at that kit... [message #38207 is a reply to message #38198] Fri, 06 September 2002 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
I actually thought about running my Theater 4's with a subwoofer through the Marchand. Were the directions pretty easy to follow?

Kevin

all you really need [message #38209 is a reply to message #38207] Fri, 06 September 2002 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
is a pair of the crossover boards themselves...the level adjustments can be the "trimmers" on board as provided. A regulated +/-15 volt supply needs built, and input/output jacks are on the boards too.
I have a 3 channel home theater amp I will be adding some XM9 boards to, for driving my full range TQWT systems. The left/right are around 35 watts, the "center"(will drive the sub) is 60 watts.
If you are comfortable soldering on a circuit board, the assembly is routine and easy. The boards are available "pre-built" for only $20 each more than the parts kit boards, I believe. Then just basic hookup wiring would be left. Sam

yes, the assembly manual instructions are very clear and detailed, figures well labeled, etc.

Re: yeehaw, no smoke came out [message #38218 is a reply to message #38198] Sun, 08 September 2002 03:07 Go to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I put together a Marchand XM-9 about a year and a half ago. It's worked flawlessly. Sonically, it gets out the way and contributes nothing so far as I can tell -- precisely as it should. Happy listening!
Previous Topic: Reconing JBL D130's
Next Topic: Ping Mike Baker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 17:58:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout