Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question for the carpenters out there
Question for the carpenters out there [message #38142] Mon, 02 September 2002 19:01 Go to next message
RJeff is currently offline  RJeff
Chancellor
I'm hoping to build the Pi 2 towers. Since I live in a small apartment, I'll be borrowing space, as well as power tools, in friends' garages for various stages, and getting help with some of the steps.

Q: For joining the sides, can I get away with (how do I describe this?) squaring the edges and screwing and glueing them together at 90 degree angles, or is it best to mitre the edges?

Sorry if my terminology is inexact - I'm new at this.

Thanks
Jeff

Re: Question for the carpenters out there [message #38143 is a reply to message #38142] Mon, 02 September 2002 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
90 degree corners or butt joints are fine. if you are going to veneer, laminate or cover the box in any way this will be just fine. A stronger joint would a rabbet or half lap type. (we wont get into locking miters) A butt joint is just not pretty if not covered. It is also not a strong joint, but this is a speaker box and will not be subject to a lot of stress. Internal bracing ie; cross members that tie the sides and the front and back together are a must no matter what panel joining method is used. you can engineer a speaker encloser till the cows come home. There are different methods that have distinct advantages and are well deserved. If your just starting out. Then start out simple and enjoy. Use glue and screws.

Bill Martinelli

Re: Question for the carpenters out there [message #38148 is a reply to message #38143] Tue, 03 September 2002 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JBLman is currently offline  JBLman
Chancellor
Regarding bracing. I'm in the process of building 4 pi speakers. Can these cabinets be over braced. I think I installed seven braces per cabinet. The exterior panels are definitely vibration proof, but don't the braces themselves create (or suffer from) the same resonance problem (i.e. vibration) that the exterior panels would??
Re: Question for the carpenters out there [message #38152 is a reply to message #38148] Tue, 03 September 2002 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
In theory it is possible. what the bracing does for people with out very sophisticated measuring devices, is control the resonance of the large panels. The panels, if not braced will resonate and cause unwanted distortion and transient sounds. these will most definitely be heard with out bracing. I believe getting into the braces themselves vibrating and causing the panel to follow suit is valid, but insignificant to most. If you really had the time to structurally analyze the panel size and the frequencies that are to affect them. You would come up with exacting brace sizes and placement locations there on. a 6" thick concrete cabinet/container would do the trick and not need bracing. you could also make a sandwiched layer of 3/4" MDF, 5/8" sheet rock, 3/4" mdf. and it could further be vibration isolated with something like a barium vinyl or modified bitumen which would weigh about 1 lb per square foot @ 1/16" thickness. I think your 7 braces are just fine.

Bill

Panel resonance [message #38157 is a reply to message #38152] Tue, 03 September 2002 17:50 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The reason bracing works is that it raises the resonance of the panels out of the region where resonance is a problem. If you have a cabinet that's tuned for 40Hz, you don't want the panels to be easily excited by panel resonance at 40Hz. So if you stiffen the cabinet enough to raise panel resonance up to 4kHz, you've moved it out of "harms way."

If the frequency of panel resonance is raised high enough, it will be beyond the crossover point, and eliminated for all practical purposes. Preloading a panel stiffens it and raises its resonant frequency considerably. Both the braced panels and the thrust rods connecting them are stressed and made to be more rigid. So the entire structure is made less excitable near the frequencies of interest.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi tower / transmission line
Next Topic: Is this why JBL 2245 was discontinued ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 05:21:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio