Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi tower / transmission line
2 Pi tower / transmission line [message #38121] Sat, 31 August 2002 10:51 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
I know this is out of the norm. I have a pair of Radford transmission line cabinets that I bought empty (no drivers), Since it will take just a little extra work before I install the 2-Pi tower system, I want to try and put the alpha 10 in this cabinet(orignally made for 10" woofer/low fs) and all I have to do to install the piezo is mount it on a board to go where a plate for the old mid/tweeter dome combo went. I don't expect much out of this, since TL design's usually don't work well with high-efficiency drivers, but since it will be so easy to put together just for the experimental - educational purposes, I just want to know what I might expect. The original tuning for the TL was 32 hz I believe from old magazines(Stereo Review Buyers guide) The size of the cabinet is with 10 % of the Pi tower cabinet, and given the dowels inside and such, will have close to equivalent Vb. Please remember, I am only doing this for curiousity and because it will be simple to install. I know I will be invoking the wrath of the "Politically Correct" for even thinking of trying this, but I learn more through experience than all the reading I can digest. Open to any and all opinions on this. Regards, Ron
Re: 2 Pi tower / transmission line [message #38139 is a reply to message #38121] Mon, 02 September 2002 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out Daniel Russell's paper about transmission lines called, "Acoustic High-Pass, Low-Pass, and Band-Stop Filters."

fly in the ointment [message #38141 is a reply to message #38139] Mon, 02 September 2002 15:43 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Nice idea, but flawed UNLESS the TL tuning and driver parameters are compatible. The Fs of the driver you mention is WAY higher than the tuning of your enclosures. Any low end support from the TL will be too far down in freq. to extend the drivers bottom end in a meaningful way, and also will not provide impedance peak damping where you need it, around the drivers Fs.
That said, I was recently told that high Qms "was a good thing in TL's". If you can shorten the TL enough to re-tune it higher, MAYBE things can be worked out OK. Installing a new exit port, somewhat closer to the driver, should not be that hard.
Check out the full range/single driver forum, and try to locate the TL page, lots of design info, some good, some flaky, you will need to sift some for the gems. Sam

Previous Topic: passive vs active filters
Next Topic: Question for the carpenters out there
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 04:42:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout