Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » subwoofer cabinet size
subwoofer cabinet size [message #38088] Wed, 28 August 2002 13:09 Go to next message
JBLman is currently offline  JBLman
Chancellor
The sketch dimensions are 40x32x20 which equals 14 cu ft. Big, big Is there another alternative, more compact, that will give approximately the same performance using JBL2245H.

Also when I order my crossovers for the 4-pi speakers, is there something that I will need to do to accomodate the addition of the sub-woofer

Re: subwoofer cabinet size [message #38091 is a reply to message #38088] Wed, 28 August 2002 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The plans I distribute are for 10ft3 cabinet, before internal component displacements are even considered. And you can get excellent performance from a 2245 using as little as 6 cubic feet. PiAlign suggests 8 cubic feet, tuned to 30Hz. Anything from about 6 to 10 cubic feet gives very similar performance, with the cabinet tuned to 30Hz. So you can really take some liberties with your cabinet shape and dimensions, as long as it falls within these limits. I'd consider anything in that "window" as being PiAlign'ed, since it acts fundamentally the same.

About your crossover, I'd recommend you go active when impementing subs. Many amplifiers are specifically designed for this purpose, and you can simply set the crossover point.

Re: internal is 9' [message #38095 is a reply to message #38088] Wed, 28 August 2002 18:13 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Yes the outside dimensions yield a 14+ cubic foot space. The actual internal dimensions are 10 cubic and less the driver, bracings and any internal structures you will have a full 9 cubic foot box "internal". The recessed front looks attractive yet it consumes floor space that is not yielding anything internal. so, you bet. They are big!
Previous Topic: So much for buying local!!!
Next Topic: Sub Cabinet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 02:57:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout