Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Corner horn flare on 7 pi
Corner horn flare on 7 pi [message #38064] Tue, 27 August 2002 05:33 Go to next message
Dan K. is currently offline  Dan K.
Esquire
I have been looking at the designs for the 7 PI's you sent out, and there is something I don't understand. The picture makes it look as though the woofer essentially fires directly into the corner and only uses reflection. I would have expected the back corner of the horn to have a 'V' wedge that was part phasing plug and partly the first flare of the horn. Sort of like this:
|
|

Sorry I can't make better angles than that. I know this is a conical horn and not a W fold, but can you explain why there isn't such a piece in the back. I guess it is my assumption it would improve both loading and hi-frequency clarity.

Dan

Re: Corner horn flare on 7 pi [message #38070 is a reply to message #38064] Tue, 27 August 2002 11:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It looks like that would be a good idea, I agree. But I've made these with shapes just like you've shown and found no difference in practice. At the lowest frequencies where the system is truly acting as a horn, any sort of device like you've described isn't at wavelength scale and does nothing. And above that, we're dealing purely with reflected energies at wavelengths that would be difficult to get path lengths equal for. So there is no point in adding a wedge like that.

Previous Topic: Tis a sad, sad day my friends...
Next Topic: Pi Subwoofer cabinet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 04:33:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout