Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » DIY recording at concerts - slightly OT ramble
Re: DIY recording at concerts - slightly OT ramble [message #38024 is a reply to message #38019] Fri, 23 August 2002 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
At the beginning of the year I bought a Sharp MiniDisc recorder so I could record business seminars and also my grad school lectures. (The Sharps are the way to go, NOT Sony) I have also been experimenting with "stealth" recording live music. I built a mono mic for lectures and have built a stereo "T" mic for music, as well as some in-ear binaural mics. These were all made with the Panasonic WM-61 capsules that you can buy from Digikey for $4-5 each. There is also a battery mic preamp that can be built for recording loud music. It is all pretty easy to construct except that the small mics can be a little tricky to solder.

The results have been mixed as I go through the learning curve. The recordings are definitely getting better with experience. Mostly, the thing that makes it a little difficult is trying to do the recording and set levels without being noticed. The portable MD recorders are small(smaller than a 3.5 floppy disc) and will fit easilly into a pocket or fanny pack. The MD format also sounds really good and is a dream when it comes to editing. DAT sounds a little better, but not by much, and MD is so much more convenient.

Its a lot of fun. I am recording an outdoor festival tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Check out some of these links for more details...

http://www.minidisco.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~gottapes/micdiyers/main.htm

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: corner horn placement
Next Topic: 2 Pi plans
Goto Forum: