Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL EBS alignment?????
JBL EBS alignment????? [message #37978] Thu, 22 August 2002 11:40 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
You have come up with "Pi alignments" for JBL (2226 and other JBL woofers), but for most of the Eminence models, you use EBS. What would EBS alignment for the JBL 2226 be??? And what are your reasons for not using them now, if it is useable at all???? I am thinking that the JBL 2226 has a stronger motor(control) than the Eminence and therefore a EBS alignment might be a interesting alternative. Maybe I am backwards on my thinking and not understanding some underlying reason for this not being feasable. Anyways, Maybe you can solve this mystery on this.
By the way Wayne, I placed order for KSN-1038A's from PE today, and supposedly it is in stock (Yahoooooo!). And to solve my other dilemma, I ordered qty (20) 56 ohm 10 watt resistors to get my 14 ohm that we discussed prior for R2. (4 - 56 ohm in parallel = 14 ohms/40 watt) (Yahoooooooo! again!!!) I am placing my belief that R2 is the one that really needs to handle the large wattage more than R1 which is in series with the horn. That and my (qty 10) 12 ufd/250v caps for my 2nd order BW 16 ohm/600hz . Have 3 projects lined up to go and girlfriends son is getting married this Saturday. When the weekend is over, it will be time to make up on my speaker projects. When I finish these projects, I will be able to do side by side comparison of Woofers: JBL 2226H and J/Eminence (15" 400 watt(109oz magnet) model unkn))/JBL 2418 on 2373 lens/Altec 802/806/807/808 on 511B or 811B lens and of course: Altec 288C(16 ohm "G" diaphram on 311-60 lens. When completed, I will do a full review along with the reviews of some audiophile friends who are very opinionated. I hope this info will be useful to those who don't know which speaker system to buy or build. Thanks, Sorry for long post. Will be back at work Wednesday. By inmates til then, Capt Ron
ev pro sound facts #7 discusses this in detail [message #37983 is a reply to message #37978] Thu, 22 August 2002 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
but I can't find my copy to review it. I recall they were fairly explicit about what low end EQ was ideal when using the technique, I think with a high power EV woofer. Does anyone know a good link to this article? Thanks, Sam

Ron, have you tried Bill's (great plains) altec 902 'phrams (#34647), I think they can be fitted to the 800 series motors, "uncomped" on 511B sounds almost as extended as the H-290/Psd-2002 w/ 0.47uF bypass, but with better transient response and clarity.
Looking forward to your comparisons of the 811 vs. 511. I'd like to try some 811's one day, maybe top mounted above a woofer box. Sam

Various alignments [message #38011 is a reply to message #37978] Thu, 22 August 2002 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, PiAlign will never suggest an EBS alignment. That alignment is generated when an oversized box is used and tuned to a low frequency that generates just enough peaking to create an extended region of relatively flat response, albeit at lower level than midband. EBS is a good solution for some things, but PiAlign is different.

Response curves for various alignments are found in the post called "Response curves of closed vs. vented systems." The "EBS" alignment is described in this document as having "EBS Stepped Response from ported cabinet with specific peaking."

Re: ev pro sound facts #7 on my links page [message #38017 is a reply to message #37983] Fri, 23 August 2002 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor
I have it on my links page. Please note that when more than about 4 megabytes are downloaded from my site in an hour, geocities turns off access for 1 hour (3 gigabytes/month limit; measured hourly). If you get a not accessible intercept, try back in an hour.

Jeff Robinson

thanks Jeff, guess I was thinking of [message #38022 is a reply to message #38017] Fri, 23 August 2002 11:36 Go to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
the data sheets themselves for the DL15X or DL15W regarding the more explicit EQ details. The box construction portion of EV#7 is well worth a close read for any DIY speaker builder. Thanks, Sam
Previous Topic: 10pi plans
Next Topic: Active X user's, system set up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 18:17:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout