Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tweaked Theater 4 Crossover
Tweaked Theater 4 Crossover [message #37974] Thu, 22 August 2002 09:49 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I thought I'd try swapping out the 15 ohm resistor in the compensation circuit and replacing it with a 23ohm (15+8 in series) to tame what seemed like a bit of overblown sound (peak) in the crossover region. The effect of this change was what I hoped it would be; a more relaxed presentation still retaining good dynamics. I can't detect any hole but I've only listened to the change for a few recordings so far. I will report back later after more settling in time. I may try a 20 ohm resistor as well.

Garland

Re: Tweaked Theater 4 Crossover [message #37990 is a reply to message #37974] Thu, 22 August 2002 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Theater fours do have a lot of midrange - Mostly because they are an efficient design and horn attenuation doesn't allow much passive EQ of the top octave. There is only 10dB attenuation of the midrange, so there can't be more than 10dB augmentation up high. Some prefer using a 12dB or even 14dB tweeter cable assembly instead, so maybe you will too.

Re: Tweaked Theater 4 Crossover [message #38013 is a reply to message #37974] Fri, 23 August 2002 05:12 Go to previous message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi garland, i played around with compensation as well and am currently running an 18ohm resistor. sounds good.

cheers,

george

Previous Topic: Towers On Order!!!
Next Topic: Let the fun begin.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 09:17:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers