Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL 2446H question
JBL 2446H question [message #37911] Tue, 20 August 2002 21:37 Go to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
Hey Wayne, remember when we were over last time you talked about how the 2446H's 4" diaphram was so big that it basically was done at around 10khz, and had troubles with any higher frequencies? Well, what do the Pi speakers with the 2446H do for high end extension? Are they more designed for a sound reienforecement application than home use?

Also, I never really understood the whole concept of cone diameter relating to wavelength and upper frequency response. I know that as sound waves get higher in frequency their periods become shorter, but how exactly does this relate to the diaphram's size? I would assume that diaphram weight is not so much of an issue, so why could a 15" woofer not perform up to 20khz? If I remember correctly the larger the diameter the speaker is, the larger the off axis drop in higher frequency spl there is. Does it have anything to do with how the horn loading of speakers works? Thanks!

JBL 2446H answer [message #37917 is a reply to message #37911] Wed, 21 August 2002 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If you have two sound sources that are 1/2 wavelength apart, they will combine destructively and form a null. So when a radiator is larger than 1/2 wavelength, it has this kind of thing happening across its surface. The net effect is that the radiation pattern begins to narrow as frequency goes up.
Re: JBL 2446H question [message #37972 is a reply to message #37911] Thu, 22 August 2002 09:25 Go to previous message
jpowers is currently offline  jpowers
Chancellor
So then is is 2446h a good choice for home application when coupled with the 2241h in a pi-4??
Previous Topic: Effects of horn loading
Next Topic: 2 Pi Tower Speaker Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 23:35:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout