Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question about power compression
Question about power compression [message #37910] Tue, 20 August 2002 21:24 Go to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
Hey Wayne, I have a question about the JBL pro drivers, well all drivers for that matter. The spec sheet for the 12" driver states power compression at different power input levels. At full power 600w, it says the driver has a power compression of 3.9dB. I am assuming that means with an input of 600w, the output will be about 119dB, while assuming the driver had no power compression, output would be around 123dB? Doesnt this basically mean the driver only gains 1.5dB from raising the input power from 300 to 600 watts, since the compression at 300w is 2.4dB? Is this due to thermal heating of the voice coil that causes this effect? I know that when temperature goes up so does resistance, is the power compression refering to this? Or is it refering to mechanical power handling, I dont think it is since mechanical power handling is frequency dependant. What is causing the phenomenon of power compression? Is it this significant in all drivers?

Thanks Wayne (and everyone else)!!!

http://www.pispeakers.com/JBL_2206.pdf

Answer about power compression [message #37916 is a reply to message #37910] Tue, 20 August 2002 23:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Exceeding mechanical limits causes unnatural buzzing sounds and usually results in damage. Compression is caused by thermal limits. The voice coil heats up and resistance rises, changing electro-mechanical parameters, reducing power transformation and wasting power too.

Previous Topic: Another 1 pi port question......
Next Topic: Wayne: About those Cornerhorns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 23:34:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio