Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » RE: New Models
RE: New Models [message #37780] Tue, 13 August 2002 05:04 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You could keep the attractive small size of the 2 Pi and still have the tweeter fire at your ears by sloping back the front baffle about 22 1/2 degrees. Increase the height by about 3 1/2", starting the slope from that far above the floor and then making the depth of the top about 6 1/4" instead of 10". The internal volume would be about the same.
I think some Infinity's used to be made that way and some of the Meadowlark's are. Those are "time aligned" but the real virtue is in having a lower tweeter beam at your ear. In fact, the 42" tall Kestrels with the sloped baffle caused me to put 8" tall extension legs on my sofa to get a good image!

Re: RE: New Models [message #37794 is a reply to message #37780] Tue, 13 August 2002 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Are you serious? You raised the seats eight inches?
Re: RE: New Models [message #37795 is a reply to message #37780] Wed, 14 August 2002 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi Till E.,
Nice concept. I just don't know how to go about it. Do you suggest maintaining the depth at the base, increasing the height by 3 1/2" and adjusting the depth on top to 6 1/4" and this will give you a 22 1/2 degree slope? Do you start the slope at the very bottom of the front baffle? I am very interested in this design for my 2Pis.
Edwin
I'm not making this up! [message #37796 is a reply to message #37794] Wed, 14 August 2002 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I really raised the sofa 8". See the link. It was just like being back in the principals office in grade school, sitting on the bench outside her door, feet not touching the floor, waiting for punishment.
I've always been Till.
can't discuss sloped front baffles without [message #37797 is a reply to message #37780] Wed, 14 August 2002 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
mentioning that Thiel Audio has a neat web site, with info on their design goals from using a sloped front baffle, etc. Sam

Till, I am surprised you did not think of cutting a hole in the floor so those Kestrel tweeters would be the "right height":)

Awww Shucks! [message #37799 is a reply to message #37794] Wed, 14 August 2002 06:43 Go to previous message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
Wayne don't listen to them! Think "rectangular boxes"! Resist influence!!!
Alright! I had my dream speaker in my mind, and it looks kinda like a Snell E...
I have to look at those Thiels everyday at work (I work at a high-end shop). don't get me wrong I do like the Thiels, but my mouth waters every time an old pair of Snell E, J, or K's come in. I guess I have a soft spot for these "boring boxes"(I own a pair of Audio Note AN/J-sp and I LOVE THEM).
I'm biased... Just being a bit cranky, silly and stupid :)

Have fun designing... slopes and all,
David

Previous Topic: 2Pi question
Next Topic: Anyone have a spec sheet for MD2001
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 02:45:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers