Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi question
2Pi question [message #37786] Tue, 13 August 2002 16:03 Go to next message
bqc is currently offline  bqc
Chancellor
The kits description mentioned crossover for the larger pi's which
use compression horn tweeter. So I assume that since the 2pi's
use piezo tweeters, they dont need high pass filter. But what about
low pass? Does the 2pi have any crossover component at all?
2Pi answer [message #37787 is a reply to message #37786] Tue, 13 August 2002 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There are no reactive components used as a crossover at all. The crossover is formed by the electro-mechanical properties of the motors, themselves.

I think you'll really be impressed with 'em too! So write me back when you are finished and listening to them. Let us know what you think!

Re: 2Pi answer [message #37788 is a reply to message #37787] Tue, 13 August 2002 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bqc is currently offline  bqc
Chancellor
Thanks for the answer. Do you recommend tweaking the piezos to
mellow out their harsh ceramic sounds? I have heard of putting cotton
batting behind the diaphram to smooth out the sound. Is that tweak
needed or effective?
Re: 2Pi answer [message #37792 is a reply to message #37788] Tue, 13 August 2002 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David W is currently offline  David W
Esquire
Hello

http://melhuish.org/audio/diy35.htm

Scroll about halfway down for some good piezo modifications. Damar varnish is available at craft stores in the art section, and rope caulk can be found in hardware stores. I think modeling clay could be just as effective as rope caulk and would be easier to find. It also would not hurt to put rope caulk on the basket of the woofer also.

David

KSN-1038 [message #37793 is a reply to message #37788] Tue, 13 August 2002 21:37 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Some describe modifications they've made to piezo's, but I've always found the KSN-1038's to sound excellent, just the way they are. I don't recommend doing anything to them, other than perhaps taking them apart and cleaning them.

Make sure there's no debris inside them. It's easy for sawdust to fall down inside them, past the phase plug, and it is then trapped against the cone. If you drill mounting holes using the tweeter as your guide, it's particularly easy for sawdust to fall inside. And even if you've been very careful, dust and debris could fall inside while the part sits on the distibutor's shelf. So that's the one thing I can suggest be done to these units at assembly time - Take 'em apart and gently blow free any debris that may have collected on the cone or back plate.

Here's the specifications of the KSN-1038, "right out of the box" -

CTS (Formerly Motorola) KSN-1038

The performance data shown above is what you can expect from an unmodified unit, and as you can see, it is clean and flat, and distortion is very low. If you insert damping material, modify the assembly or apply a film of some sort, you'll have a very hard time doing your modifications consistently.

I know that some recommend techniques such as these, but I don't agree with them. I find no fault in the little piezo's - not the 1038's anyway - There's just no fault so glaring that I would want to change them. The performance data shown above is quite good, and I think they sound as good as the numbers indicate. They don't generate more than about 115dB/M and they can't be used below 3.5kHz. But within these constraints, they're really excellent parts and I wouldn't want to change them.

Previous Topic: I'm cuttin' them loose (long)
Next Topic: RE: New Models
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 28 16:26:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout