Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » adire vs pi
My Turn [message #37646 is a reply to message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've stayed out of this,especially on the bigger forum, because Kevin is an absolute mensch starting a new business and some of what I have to say could be taken as negative. That is not to slight Wayne who besides always showing his cards face up is generous to a fault.
I will expand on what has been said about Lima and there is nothing I have not told Kevin, privately.
First, the room was horrible! No matter which amps were used I thought the Adires and my Pi's sounded bad. So bad I at first blamed the mod'ed Sony 775 SACD player and/or the 1812 Overture recording played too loud. The Adires sounded strained with the 300B's and the Korneff 45's with that source. With other music and Kevin's changer I thought, as others did that the Adires were quite musical and dynamic. The Pi's, which I had schlepped upstairs to hear with the EL-34 amp, wound up hooked to the Korneffs, blasting out the 1812. I was sitting on the radiator and whoever was right next to me looked over at me and we said almost as one, "that sounds terrible". I don't know if he knew I was the builder, he seem so disengenuous.
I hate that f'ng 1812!
Ironically, I bought the Sony 775 and love it. Yes, it's more forward than the Cambridge I have and George had at Lima but quite musical. That's another strike against the room.
Now as many people have heard the Adire's as the Pi's in different environments and seldom is heard a discouraging word except when the "political parties" get excited.
The 4 Pi's sounded great in the Auditorium, they sound great in my living room (come on over) and they are good speakers by any measure. I'll put my 4 decades of making music and 3 decades of high end listening up against anyone's ears. And they're not perfect.But that's subjective.
Now finally I have to say that if you weren't at Lima and weren't at Merrillville and haven't heard the Pi's and Adires on the same date, let alone in the same room, shut the F-k up! You have no basis for opinion so don't offer one. And don't bother to offer to hold anyone's coat! If there's anything that frosts my ass about these BB's it's the question about comparing amp A and amp B and 10 respondents chime in with "I haven't heard------- or ------- but I'm sure.........."
And Tom Brennan, the Miklos Rosza march that the USC band always plays is "Entrance of the Chariots" from Quo Vadis.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message