Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL experience (A bit off topic)
JBL experience (A bit off topic) [message #37644] Sun, 04 August 2002 17:48 Go to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
Last week a longtime co-worker who plays in a band asked me to come check out his gear. We had talked about it often but I had never had the chance to give his stuff a listen. Anyway we get down to the warehouse where the gear is stored and start setting it up. All the while he's telling me that he's been quite disappointed with the sound and that the bottom end lacked punch and was muddy. Now just let me say that I don't pretend to be an audio expert by any stretch but I've gleened a lot of info from this site as well as others such as JBL's and my own personel "experiments" and experiences. So we finally get the rig set up with more boxs and cables than I ever thought was involved with Pro sound. 6 JBL loaded Martin W bins 2 Mid sections 2 JBL loaded horns, 4 800 watt H&H amps and a whole !@#$load of eq's and wire! A bit intimidating to say the least. On with the tunes, everything from Big Sugar to Rush. And yes it did SUCK! Big time. Loud and muddy, I was shocked and disappointed that anything JBL equiped would sound so horrible. Something was obviously wrong but what? Since pro sound is actively crossed that seemed like a good place to start. I had my buddie mute out the bottom and mids, tops was fine, same thing with the mids, then the bottom, it was bad, not that I've ever heard just a woofer by itself that sounded good but this was sad. So we start pulling the drivers out of the bins. 5 different drivers in 6 bins E-140's 2205's 2225's. Some were 8 ohm some 16. some out of phase . Basicly anything that could be wrong was wrong. We hooked up 2 Bins in phase and tried again, more punch but still muddy. Byron tells me that the drivers were "replacements" for 6 blown Guass 15" drivers that were had been in the bins when he bought them new but were destroyed by a overzealous "soundman" who couldn't get enough bass. The replacements were clearly recones which in it self should be no big deal but the whole deal thru the quality of the work in question. Anyway, I mention to Byron that I had 2 brand new 2226's at home that would be a drop in replacement. Besides I would love to give them a test drive. An hour later the new drivers are in 2 of the bins wired up by themselves. By this time a few of the other band member had show up to listen. What a difference! I still can't stop thinking about how powerful and clear the 2226's sounded. In fact everone present was shocked at what an inprovement there was not just in the bass but right up into the vocals. The other thing that struck me was how incredibly loud the 2226's were and that they seemed never run out of steam. Anyway the point of all this is that anyone considering building some professional Pi's will be very happy with the results. Even if you don't want to have concert level sound, they are crystal and very accurate. Can't say enough.

Kell

Bravo! [message #37645 is a reply to message #37644] Sun, 04 August 2002 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great job!

Methodical and precise, your actions showed you exactly what the problem was, and so the solution identified itself.

Good work!

Re: JBL experience (A bit off topic) [message #37664 is a reply to message #37644] Tue, 06 August 2002 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walt is currently offline  Walt
Chancellor
The Martinbin is known for its dry sounding bass. You should only use the Gauss long throw woofers in these bins. The cone of a "normal" 15 inches is not strong enough for the use in the martinbin. They will be ripped apart when you use the bins frequently.

Best regards,

Walt (De Jong Soundsystems)

Are Gauss drivers..... [message #37666 is a reply to message #37664] Tue, 06 August 2002 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
still available? The bins used the 4583 driver in them originally. The JBL 2226 15" has an xmax of 7.6 and a total throw before mechanical damage of 3/4" (not positive on that last figure). You don't think that will be sufficient? Let me know what you think.
Kelly
Re: Are Gauss drivers..... [message #37678 is a reply to message #37666] Wed, 07 August 2002 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walt is currently offline  Walt
Chancellor
I don't think it is possible to get Gauss speakers nowadays. I haven't seem new ones for years! For example the problem with a EV-15B in this martinbin is that the cone deforms at high excusions. This is because the Martinbin doesn't load the cone very symmetric. Your JBL 2226 will have a far more stronger cone I expect so they might work fine. You will have to try this to be sure. When you use your PA basscabinets very often the speakers still should last for 5 years. It is not be normal to blow speakers often. In that case there might be problems which have to be solved.

Best regards,

Walt

Re: Are Gauss drivers..... [message #37691 is a reply to message #37666] Wed, 07 August 2002 19:31 Go to previous message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor
Gauss has been out of business for years but recone kits are available through Electro-Voice for at least some (if not all) models. I know kits for 4582's were available last year because I had one reconed. Check with a local reconer or I understand Orange County Speakers and Great Plains Audio have good reputations. I just don't like shipping speakers by UPS, too many bad experiences (most people cannot seem to figure out that the cone must not rest on anything, or be allowed to shift around and rest on anything, too many F'ing idiots selling on eBay). There are links to both reconers on my links page.

On a positive note, I pounded the hell out of my Gauss 4582's with about 300 watts 3 to 5 nights a week for 10 years when I was doing sound reinforcement 15 years ago, never a failure until I didn't repair a hole poked in a dust cap that allowed grit into the voice coil gap.

Previous Topic: Woofer question
Next Topic: Amplifier feedback - post here
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 19:28:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout