Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » adire vs pi
Re: adire vs pi [message #37641 is a reply to message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Hi guys, just another opinion here.

I wanted to just say what I heard at Lima In regards to Pi speakers and the Adire. The 10.1'a are really nice sounding speakers. I also believe I spent about 3 times as much money for my 10.1 Kit as I did for my 2 Pi kit. How do they compare? couldn't tell ya, never put together the 10.1's so there has been no AB comparison yet. For the money the 2 pi is a great design with no crossover to worry about. I would also think that a lot of people would either like or dislike one or the other because of the piezo vs. a horn arrangement for the highs.

At Lima, The 4pi's George had in the theater sounded very nice in that room. Tills Theater series with the Bottle head amps also sounded great in that room.

No I did get a chance to listen to the 10.1 and the Theater 4 pi in Kevin's DIY Cable room. With Both speakers hooked up to the Bilie amps I thought the 4 pi's had a more dynamic sound and a lower extension. Now using a subwoofer with the 10.1's in this arrangement makes a more difficult decision. It's all about preference. Now when the Theater 4 pi's where hooked up to the 45 SET amps, that was a different story. The 10.1 speakers took a liking to the low end influence those amps brought to the table. While the 4 pi's were over burdened with bass and did not work well with those particular amps.

Like Tommy said, good horn speakers all share more good things in common than not. It would stand to reason that there would be only 2 or 3 speaker manufacturers if everyone thought only one or two speakers sounded good, and with some thousands of speakers builder earning a living with all the different products. There must be a lot of personal preferences that different people are happy to back up with their wallet.

So I offer my opinion hear, because to discuss this in the other thread would be quite fruitless. The original poster's question wasn't about all this and I had no information for him on a 2Pi vs. a 10.1.

So I'm keeping my 4 Pi's and continuing to build different versions of them that suit my needs and taste.

happy horning!

Bill

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message