Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Box finished in formica
Box finished in formica [message #37618] Sat, 03 August 2002 11:49 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I thought you guys might be interested in this. I just finished up this guy's box with a formica finish. Same stuff that is used on countertops.

Less forgiving to apply then, say, carpet, but more forgiving then paint. Glossy finish, comes in many different colours and patterns, very durable stuff... Perfect for just about any speaker box, especially cars. I think I'm going to do my quasi pi tens and fours in this stuff. Very stylish.

This is only my third box using formica. I had some problems, but it turned out well.

The bit of scuffing is some areas where I haven't cleaned the box off yet.

Adam

Re: Box finished in formica [message #37619 is a reply to message #37618] Sat, 03 August 2002 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Your speaker cabinet looks great!

And I agree with you that it is an interesting look, but it's kind of expensive. That's what my cabinetmaker uses for π Speakers with black finish. I've got a pair in my car, and they get hot, Hot, HOT! I'll bet the surface is 150o on a summer afternoon.

But, wow, yours look great!

Re: Box finished in formica [message #37620 is a reply to message #37618] Sat, 03 August 2002 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
I suggest trying cutting some boxes out of Corian, then your base material and covering is one and the same, and looks even better.
Re: Box finished in formica [message #37622 is a reply to message #37619] Sat, 03 August 2002 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Really? It only cost me about $30 american to cover that box... That includes half a sheet of material, contact cement and a couple of rollers.

But yes, the stuff burns like hell. It was out in the sun most of today and it would burn you if you touched it.

I threw the subs in the box and did the finishing touches. Looks sooooo clean and nice. I'll post a final pic in a few minutes!

Adam

Here we go - subs installed... [message #37623 is a reply to message #37622] Sat, 03 August 2002 16:08 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Looks good!
Previous Topic: Pi Studio 2 WOW!!!
Next Topic: drivers for sale
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 17:00:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio