Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Eminence Alpha 8 question! Urgent help needed!
Eminence Alpha 8 question! Urgent help needed! [message #37448] Tue, 23 July 2002 01:01 Go to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
I called a local store to order a pair of Eminence Alpha 8 drivers for my 1 Pi speakers. I was surprised to find that the data for the drivers had changed (no parameters) from 100W to 125W. The only thing that changed except for the higher power handling is the surface area of the cone that has changed from 214cm2 to 210cm2.

The distributor said that these drivers are the only Alpha 8 drivers that Eminence make nowadays and that they simply have updated it a little. He said that there aren´t two versions available and that Eminence simply haven´t updated their website yet to the new specs.

I need to order a pair for my 1 Pi speakers so I need to know if they are ok (I´m afraid I´ll fry my amp if the drivers aren´t right since there are no x-over).

/Erik

The size of the cone had changed eairlier (change already on Eminence site). (nt) [message #37449 is a reply to message #37448] Tue, 23 July 2002 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Eminence specifications over the years [message #37450 is a reply to message #37449] Tue, 23 July 2002 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I haven't noticed any changes in specifications of Alpha series parts in over a year. Around the beginning of 2001, Eminence made some specifications changes but hasn't done so since.

For most of the life of the company, they have actually made components to customer spec, and so there really wasn't a standard model or product line. They offered some "branded" components having names similar to what they now use, but the characteristics of individual drivers were up to the distributor who purchased them. So up until 2000, if you purchased a "specific" Eminence component from two different distributors, you more than likely received two different parts.

If you aren't sure that what you are getting hasn't sat on the shelf for a while, you might want to ask the dealer to confirm that the parts are what you expect they are.

Re: Eminence specifications over the years [message #37451 is a reply to message #37450] Tue, 23 July 2002 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The only specification change is the 125W power rating. All the Thiele-Small parameters are the same. The store have to order them from the distributor, who I talked to on the phone earlier who said that they updated the specs on the Alpha 8.

The Alpha 6 and Alpha 8MR are also rated at 125W on the distributor´s homepage.

/Erik

Ooops again! Not the Alpha 6, just the 8 and 8MR (nt) [message #37452 is a reply to message #37451] Tue, 23 July 2002 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Maybe they are rated in peak power [message #37453 is a reply to message #37452] Tue, 23 July 2002 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Perhaps the distributor chooses to publish peak power ratings as opposed to RMS. Or maybe they just felt that the little Alpha's can handle more power than what Eminence rates 'em at.

They do seem to be pretty tough little parts. I connect them to a 1200 watt amp pretty often, and I've never worried about over-powering them. Of course, if I put this amp's full power to them as a continuous sine, they would be destroyed in minutes but my point is these speakers definitely aren't delicate.

Re: Maybe they are rated in peak power [message #37454 is a reply to message #37453] Tue, 23 July 2002 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
So you think I can feel safe buying these drivers? Here is a link to the distributor's page for the Alpha 8. All the parameters seem to be the same.

/Erik

Re: Maybe they are rated in peak power [message #37457 is a reply to message #37454] Tue, 23 July 2002 12:13 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, they'll be fine. They appear to be the same part we get here in the USA.
Previous Topic: 1 pi port question...
Next Topic: A little more low end please!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 18:21:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio