Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Assembled my 1 Pi cabinets yesterday
Assembled my 1 Pi cabinets yesterday [message #37422] Sun, 21 July 2002 20:17 Go to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
Yesterday they were assembled using glue and 36 screws for each speaker. After a bit of sanding they look good but not 100% perfect, so they´ll need some putty (that´s what it´s called right?) on an edge or two and over the countersunk screws before I´ll start the veneering.

Wayne, if I do like these speakers a lot, can I (if I think they lack bass) build a separate LF cabinet using the Alpha 12 or Alpha 15 (plan to get some in Germany when I go there) before I get the $$$ to finish up a pair of Thermionic 3 Pi or 4 Pi?

Also, how would a pair of 1 Pi with separate LF cabinets using the 12 or 15 inch drivers sound compared to the larger 3 and 3 Pi speakers?

/Erik

Interesting specs... [message #37424 is a reply to message #37422] Sun, 21 July 2002 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I found that the specs for the 3 Pi Stage and Pro states that it's lower frequency range is the same (50hz-) as the 1 Pi speakers. I find this interesting...

Also, you seem to think that the 1 pi is lacking in the bass. Why is that really? I have heard many speakers with even smaller driver (6.5 inch) in smaller cabinets, having more then enough bass. I calculated that the volume of the 1 Pi cabinet is about 23 litres, which isn't small compared to normal bookshelf speakers.

/Erik

Re: Interesting specs... [message #37429 is a reply to message #37424] Sun, 21 July 2002 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
All of my speakers are high efficiency designs. For any given size, you can optimize for bass extension or efficiency. I think my speakers are a good balance between efficiency and extension - They all sound good without subs, but all could benefit from them.

Adding subwoofers does more than just provide deep bass extension. It also serves to smooth room modes by averaging. Where a null might appear from a single bass sound source, another can be placed to fill in the hole. In this way, multiple bass sound sources can be used to provde deeper and smoother bass.

Re: Interesting specs... [message #37430 is a reply to message #37429] Mon, 22 July 2002 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
So that might be one reason that my ProAc Response 2.5 speakers are 83db/1W/1m efficiant (Scan-Speak 18W/8535-00 and D2010/8513 drivers with bass down to 30-35hz).

Could you send me the plans for the Theater 3 and 4 Pi in case I get the Delta 12LF or Delta 15 drivers in Germany?

/Erik

Cabinet question... [message #37431 is a reply to message #37429] Mon, 22 July 2002 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
You know I was quite fond of the looks of solid pine Wayne. I'm wondering, now that I have built the cabinet in 16mm MDF, would it matter if I veneer it, or attach 18mm solid pine or solid beech to it?

/Erik

You've got mail! [message #37432 is a reply to message #37430] Mon, 22 July 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: You've got mail! [message #37433 is a reply to message #37432] Mon, 22 July 2002 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Changed to my family's email adress.

I ran Pialign for the Delta 15 and came up with an internal volume of 5.2 cu feet tuned to 30hz.

Could I build a pair of those and put the little 1 Pi speakers on top of them (saw the thread about the beatiful LF cabinets with 4 Pi speakers on top)?

Also, I'd like the plans for the Theater 3 Pi as well because I do have a sand amp as well :)

If I like these speakers a lot, I might set up a second more serious system in the future.

/Erik

Got the plans! (And port placement question) [message #37434 is a reply to message #37432] Mon, 22 July 2002 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Since I'm using a 65mm ID (70mm OD) port. Is it ok to still place the port so that it's outer edges are 25mm (1 inch) from the side and bottom? The center of the port would then be something like 5-6mm off from the original placement.

/Erik

Port placement answer [message #37436 is a reply to message #37434] Mon, 22 July 2002 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's fine. We're talking about some pretty tiny differences here.

Please be sure to post your photos and listening impressions when you finish your speakers.

Photo's [message #37437 is a reply to message #37436] Mon, 22 July 2002 03:01 Go to previous message
Viscount
I'll post photo's of our speakers. My friend will be using fake veneer with an adheshive backing (looks decent) and I will have some more work with real veneer.

I hope to be able to take some snapshots today when building his speakers.

The Pi logos showed up today! Thanks! Pretty fast for crossing the Atlantic isn't it?

/Erik

Previous Topic: A question of amplifiers
Next Topic: A wierd question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 15:40:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers