Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What is Pialign?
What is Pialign? [message #37347] Wed, 17 July 2002 09:30 Go to next message
Anonymous
Is this software similar to other products (ie, WinISD)
yielding similar results?
It's an alignment, and a program that recommends cabinets using that alignment [message #37348 is a reply to message #37347] Wed, 17 July 2002 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
PiAlign is a program that recommends speaker cabinets based on a specific technique. For more information, see the "Pi Alignment Theory" document, which is included in the program distribution file.
more questions [message #37352 is a reply to message #37348] Wed, 17 July 2002 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Need tutorial - (read the info, still lost) hehe

If I take a 12 inch woofer with these specs.

qts .32
vas 124 liters
fs 37hz
94db

Where exactly do I enter this numbers in pialign?
Low mid or high mid sections? What do I enter for low cut/high cut?
What if I want sealed not ported ?

After entering the data, the program will output the best box
dimensions? Will it tell me f3?

Confused

more answers [message #37354 is a reply to message #37352] Wed, 17 July 2002 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Enter Vas into PiAlign's "Vad" field, Fts into the "Frd" field and 1/Qts into the "Qd" field. Also input the number of woofers you plan to use, usually 1.

You'll need to enter Imperial measurements for Vas, so enter 4.34. Frd = Fts, so enter 37. Qts = 0.32 so enter 3.125 for Qd. If you're using a single woofer, enter 1 for "Qty."

No other items are really important for PiAlign's cabinet computation, except volume offset fields which are at the bottom right corner of your screen. Those can be calculated separately pretty easily, and all the rest of the items are informational only, so you can maintain a database of your designs.

PiAlign recommends a 1.4 cubic foot box, tuned to 45Hz for this woofer. To see the response curve of this alignment, use BoxPlot or something like that to model the cabinet and predict response.

I have a question, too! [message #37358 is a reply to message #37354] Wed, 17 July 2002 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have to admit, as often as I see this, what the heck does "tuned to xxHz" mean?
It's all related to beer [message #37361 is a reply to message #37358] Wed, 17 July 2002 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Every bass-reflex system has a speaker mounted in a Helmholtz resonator. Helmholtz resonance is what causes a beer bottle to make a tone when you blow into it. Just like the beer bottle frequency is set by the size of the bottle and the neck, speaker tuning is set by the size of the box and the port.

So, you see, it is all related to beer.

The shape of the bottle? Does a liter bottle of beer...... [message #37362 is a reply to message #37361] Wed, 17 July 2002 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
....sound different than a liter bottle of wine?
I'm willing to make the sacrifice of the wine but I haven't got any beer to test this.
How different would a Pro 4 sound, what frequency would it be tuned to if it was, say, 53 X 18.5 X 7.125?

Bigger bottle, shorter neck [message #37369 is a reply to message #37362] Wed, 17 July 2002 22:07 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
A cabinet sized 53" X 18.5" X 7.125" is about four cubic feet, outside dimensions, so the cabinet would be tuned lower if it used the same port. But you'd lose bass response because the cabinet would be be tuned too low to do much good.

Assuming a few hundred cubic inches are displaced by components inside and by wood thickness, your cabinet is 3.5 cubic feet. So to tune this for 40Hz, you'll need to shorten the port to 5" long, assuming the same rectangular W x H dimensions of 3.5" x 6.0."

That will tune it to the same frequency as the "stock" Professional Series four π speaker, and it will sound pretty good. A 2226 works very well in cabinets from 2.0ft3 to 5.0ft3 tuned to 40Hz.

Previous Topic: Didja ever see Wayne run?
Next Topic: Interesting discussion on Audiogon , Wayne, your thought?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 08:39:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio