Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp clipping
Amp clipping [message #37261] Wed, 10 July 2002 23:39 Go to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
On the subject of my father's speaker cabinet using Alpha 8A's...

I was just doing some experimenting and I noticed with the guitar amp that that one single 8ohm Alpha 8 caused the amp to clip a LOT earlier than one of these 12" Jensen drivers (specs in link below) that came with the amp. I just don't get why the Alpha clips much so much sooner...

what gives?

Re: Amp clipping [message #37262 is a reply to message #37261] Thu, 11 July 2002 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's weird. I see from the link you sent that the Jensen speaker has voice coil resistance of around 6 ohms and inductance of around 0.5 millihenry. That is pretty normal for a speaker like this, and similar to that of the Eminence Alpha 8.

What's the condition of the voice coil on the Alpha 8? Are they new?

Re: Amp clipping [message #37263 is a reply to message #37262] Thu, 11 July 2002 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
very wierd. The alpha 8's are brand new. I know it isn't just my ears, I was A/B ing them keeping the same volume level on the amp, and I couldn't get the amp to clip or distort with the jensen, but a moderate pluck on any of the three top strings and it clips with the alpha, I was watching the extension and it appeared to be within limits... could it be that the amp has poor damping?.

Should I try using a zobel? if so, what would the values be?

Re: Amp clipping [message #37265 is a reply to message #37263] Thu, 11 July 2002 16:26 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do you have a scope? Can you see what's happening? Perhaps use a resistor for a load?

About the Zobel, I don't think that will help you. It's good for impedance compensation, but it's really only useful when you have a crossover. When the speaker is connected directly to the amp, a Zobel doesn't do much good.

Previous Topic: Hybrid 2 Pi for SACD multi-channel?
Next Topic: 4 PI Professional series.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 14:00:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout