Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hybrid 2 Pi for SACD multi-channel?
Hybrid 2 Pi for SACD multi-channel? [message #37253] Wed, 10 July 2002 14:13 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For several reasons, I'm thinking of building 4 - 2Pi's rather than a pair of the big guys for the Home Theatre.
One reason is having continuity on all the channels as I get SACD multi-channel up and running.
Another is that the Makore veneer I scored, while beautiful, is a tad too "early bordello" on a large scale.
So I'm wondering about the quality of the highs with the ceramic piezo tweeter. Okay for the movies but what about Coltrane or Emma Kirkby or Taj Mahal?
Plenty of room for the PSD-2002 with CH-3 in the 2 Pi cabinet, right? Worthwhile? Use the good ole PE crossover? Maybe go for a 10" JBL instrument speaker from the garage sale instead of the Eminence?

What do you all think?

Piezo's vs. compression horns [message #37254 is a reply to message #37253] Wed, 10 July 2002 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
For what it's worth, I like the improved top octave performance of the KSN-1038 in the little speakers. The biggest disadvantage is that they don't match a compression horn in terms of total output, but these smaller systems only hit about 115dB anyway. So the output from a KSN-1038 is adequate, and you get improved top octave performance in the trade.
Re: Hybrid 2 Pi for SACD multi-channel? [message #37255 is a reply to message #37253] Wed, 10 July 2002 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Till, you goin' to Kevins bash July 27th?!

Re: Hybrid 2 Pi for SACD multi-channel? [message #37256 is a reply to message #37253] Wed, 10 July 2002 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Till,

You will find that continuity amoung the four speakers is not necessary. The surrounds are only for ambiance and effects.
Matching them all close in efficiency would be good.

Building (4) 2pi's to use as surrounds and a pair or Rear centers would be too cool for school. (4) 1pi speakers would be great.

You need to build yourself a very pristine center speaker. I would bet 50% of the movie comes from the center. you want your dialogue and main scene effects coming from the center to be crystal clear and dynamic.

Next your Mains are going to unleash the brunt of the score and your 4 pi's are perfect for this. It doesnt get much better.

I have a pair of 2pi speakers and I use them for my surrounds now.
They are Perfect. just the right size, just the right SPL, just the dynamics. The 2 pi's replaced my JBL 4655 speakers for surrounds.

I have the room, so I use 4pi speakers for the from mains. Since I have the room for the 4pi's, I wouldnt switch them out for a quad of 2 pi's

Bill

Wayne, what is the Pro4 port spec? and... [message #37257 is a reply to message #37253] Wed, 10 July 2002 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'll be ordering a pair'a'2's.
You've got mail! [message #37260 is a reply to message #37257] Wed, 10 July 2002 20:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Got your order - Thank you very much!

The port on a Professional Series four π speaker is 3.5" x 6" x 10" long. Those are inside dimensions.

I'll send you the plans.

Previous Topic: Studio 1Pi plans
Next Topic: Amp clipping
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 02:08:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers