Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 pi differences
4 pi differences [message #37225] Tue, 09 July 2002 08:50 Go to next message
Dan K. is currently offline  Dan K.
Esquire
Wayne,

When reviewing the different 4 pi speakers using Emminence drivers, it is difficult to understand the advantages of one driver over another, assuming a sub will be used. Clearly, as one goes up in price the voice coil size increases and maximum power handling goes up from a thermal perspective, though not xmax. My concern is for fidelity, however, and the ability to produce piano, orchestra, blues, female vocals, etc., with absolutely no sense of strain. The system does need to be able to reproduce orchestral peaks, but I am unlikely to ever drive it with more than 100 or 200 watts per channel.
I would like finished hardwood units. I have built my own speakers before, and while there is a great deal of satisfaction in "doing it yourself", without a proper workshop and tools, I have decided it is just not something I want to do again, so if you could include pricing I would appreciate it. I wasn't sure, looking at your price list, if I was comparing "apples to apples" for finished enclosures.

Thanks!

Dan

Re: 4 pi differences [message #37237 is a reply to message #37225] Tue, 09 July 2002 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suggest the Professional Series three or four π for mains. And a 2245 in a PiAlign'ed cabinet is the perfect sub to go with them.

Re: 4 pi differences [message #37242 is a reply to message #37237] Tue, 09 July 2002 14:42 Go to previous message
Dan K. is currently offline  Dan K.
Esquire
Thanks Wayne!

Yes, what I'd really like would be flat front JBL 4425 monitors, only more efficient (Pro Series 3 PI's, for instance) and at least one 2245 in a very large box (say 14-16 cubic ft tuned to 18-20 hz) in order to handle organ recordings. But....I'm going to have to compromise somewhere though. My significant other half doesn't understand 1)Why I want new speakers 2)Why any speaker needs to be significantly larger than a soda pop can. [We have a surround system comprised of 5 NHT Super Zero's and an upstairs listening system I made based on a Vifa 5", 2 way configuration. Nice for reserved listening, but nothing very involved.] At this point, I am leaning toward Stage Series 3 Pi Speakers, with the thought of working out subs later. Thanks for your input. After re-reading the model descriptions again the pricing suddenly clicked into place. If I can get the go ahead I may ask for a quote for dark cherry hardwood to match some of our other furniture.

Dan

Previous Topic: theory meets "reality" in the living room
Next Topic: Omega Pro 18, Box Volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 11:10:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers