Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » round vs. square horns...
round vs. square horns... [message #37207] Mon, 08 July 2002 09:13 Go to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Wayne,
Using a driver such as the 2426 gives what, about 110 to 112dB/watt axial sensitivity when used on a 90x40 horn like the jbl 2370's?

If the same driver is mounted on a round tractrix salad bowl horn, what happens to the axial sense? I am thinking in consideration that the given amount of acoustic output power is being spread out more with the round horn, yes? Or is this "apples to oranges", given that the round horn might have different loading/gain specs. (D.I.,etc.).

About how large a mouth diameter is required to use an 800Hz. XOVER freq., and how long is the typical throat to mouth length?
Just thinking generally, no specifics really needed yet. I'm trying to visualize the physical size a round horn actually requires.
Thanks, Sam

Re: round vs. square horns... [message #37210 is a reply to message #37207] Mon, 08 July 2002 16:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Round horns are axisymmetric, meaning that the dispersion is symmetrical about the axis. As much energy goes to the ceiling and the floor as goes side to side.

Previous Topic: Which pi for newbie home stereo
Next Topic: Resistor wattage and other questions......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 18:31:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio