Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Crown + Pi = Great
Crown + Pi = Great [message #37144] Wed, 03 July 2002 11:55 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Just got a Crown D75-A off ebay and I am very happy with it's performance. I wanted to try a Crown w/ Pi's.(yeah...copycat) This is a small studio amp w/ 45W/Ch & no fan. It does great things to a pair of Theater 4's. I am comparing this to an Adcom 5400. With 4 times the juice the Adcom can really pound, but it seems sluggish by comparison. The Crown's lighter bass somehow seems musically stronger. It doesn't hang around to pollute the room. That is how it strikes me. I am perplexed, as the Adcom has way more damping capacity, but the Crown has more apparent grip. It's not just bass, the mids are alive and highs have more focus. This amp completes the concept in my anti fashion system. (Well Wayne, I guess this makes me a total Pi convert) I think it would make a good sub amp (with hot drivers) for low power tube guys w/ Pi's. It is really fast, but keep in mind it's a 10 lb. 40 watt amp, on a HOT speaker. It will not blow your mind on a pair of Dynaudios. [I tried that too ;)]

Thomas F.

Re: Crown + name a speaker = Great [message #37146 is a reply to message #37144] Wed, 03 July 2002 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
I am using a strapped Crown IOC150A and its a great amp. Crown makes some really nice stuff. It is driving a Urie 811c home built and it has really great dynamics with that speaker combo.
I'm a big Crown fan too. [message #37148 is a reply to message #37146] Wed, 03 July 2002 13:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've always liked the Microtech and Macrotech series. They're real "workhorses" and they offer hi-fidelity performance with power and durability.

Previous Topic: New Pictures!
Next Topic: Is there any difference between Eminence Alpha 12 and Alpha 12A?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 07 00:24:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio