Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne-Now you've seen and heard.......
Re: Whats wrong with sealed? [message #37080 is a reply to message #37074] Wed, 26 June 2002 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
Hey Wayne!

I have a question. You said its better to use vented boxes in a car? I dont understand. With the car's transfer function, you should get great bass extension with a woofer in a reasonably sized sealed inclosure, say with a qtc of around .707. I would imagine that the Eminenice Alpha's would need a vented box, since they are not designed as subwoofers and have a high FS. But for those rockford fosgate and JL woofers, they should go reasonably low in a sealed box. Now, .25 cuft may not be enough, but somthing around .75cuft perhaps? If he is looking for sheer output, then yes, vented would be best.

Oh, Mitch and I put my 18" subwoofer in my brothers car. The really big one that we were talking about last time. It is horendously loud. I think you would like it! :-) Also, has that pair of 2pi's been built yet?

Re: Whats wrong with sealed? [message #37084 is a reply to message #37080] Wed, 26 June 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The things I would want from a high-fidelity car subwoofer are response that conjugates cabin gain and compact size. Normally, making a subwoofer small means efficiency must be sacrificed but in this case, the cabin gain makes it possible to use an overdamped vented alignment in a relatively small box. You could also do that with a sealed box, as you've said. But with the very small space limits imposed on Scott's subwoofer - with only 0.25 cubic feet to work with - I'd probably go with a slightly overdamped vented alignment. The woofer drivers he's using work perfectly like this with the right vent, but seal the box and it becomes underdamped, exactly what you don't want in a car sub.
Re: Whats wrong with sealed? [message #37085 is a reply to message #37084] Wed, 26 June 2002 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, the JL and RF drivers he mentioned aren't designed to run boxes that small. Personally, I'd run them ported. I think he'll get a lot more out of the package.

Adam

Check out a PiAlign'ed Seas W18EX001 [message #37088 is a reply to message #37075] Wed, 26 June 2002 15:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
For the same size box, check out the thread above about the Seas W18EX001
Previous Topic: Theater 3PI Enclosure plans...
Next Topic: theater4pi and stage4pi for M252?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 04:16:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio