Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne-Now you've seen and heard.......
Wayne-Now you've seen and heard....... [message #37062] Tue, 25 June 2002 06:50 Go to next message
AP is currently offline  AP
Chancellor
What's your honest opinion?

For anyone else reading, follow like to what I'm talking about.

Re: Wayne-Now you've seen and heard....... [message #37063 is a reply to message #37062] Tue, 25 June 2002 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi to all,
Now that we are on the subject of subs, any recommendation for a good, realistically priced, subwoofer for the Studio 2Pi to be used in a 10 ft X 8 ft room?
Thanks,
Edwin
Re: Wayne-Now you've seen and heard....... [message #37064 is a reply to message #37062] Tue, 25 June 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Way too expensive. With a little deft and skill, you could build something like that yourself no problem for a fifth of that cost. Also, he's using the lowest end rockford and JL drivers.

Adam

Re: Wayne-Now you've seen and heard....... [message #37065 is a reply to message #37064] Tue, 25 June 2002 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott
Chancellor
Umm....you're only seeing the top. Wayne has seen the rest. There's more to it than the pics suggest.
Re: Wayne-Now you've seen and heard....... [message #37067 is a reply to message #37065] Tue, 25 June 2002 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well I imagine there is some fibreglass work to it down below.

That is more difficult to do but still very doable by a DIY'er.

Adam

Re: Wayne-Now you've seen and heard....... [message #37068 is a reply to message #37067] Tue, 25 June 2002 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
It's definitely doable, but not as easy as it looks. The spot you see in the pictures is a cubby hold in the back of the Porsche 944. It's kinda egg shaped as the outside wall is actually the rear fender. Inside the cubby is a side marker light assembly. The box kinda bends around the side marker and conforms to the hold.Actually, it's all wood. I tried fiberglass but it's a mess to work with.
Re: Wayne-Now you've seen and heard....... [message #37069 is a reply to message #37068] Tue, 25 June 2002 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
All wood? That's pretty impressive.

I still wouldn't pay that money for it personally, I guess that's just cuz I've done fibreglass and complex box shapes and whatnot... but still pretty impressive only done with wood.

And yes, fibreglass is very messy... But you gotta agree the results are worth it if done right.

Adam

Re: kits [message #37073 is a reply to message #37063] Tue, 25 June 2002 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Parts Express. and Madisound both offer kits.

Better than Blaupunkt! [message #37074 is a reply to message #37062] Tue, 25 June 2002 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are cool little boxes! Kelly is a nice guy, isn't he? And he's an excellent cabinet maker too.

I must admit though that I agree with Adam - You'll probably be more successful if you'll lower your prices. I'd suggest fifty bucks a box; Maybe a hundred or one-twenty for a finished speaker. It's not too much, nor too little. Those little one π's in my 928 are only $45.00 per speaker in kit form and $170.00, completely finished.

And I just can't resist - I'd still like to see you give my approach a try. Sealed boxes of a quarter cubic foot are tough to call "subwoofers". You know what I mean 'cause you've heard my one π's, and a person can't help but to make a comparison. The Alpha 8's that are in my speakers aren't "subs" by any stretch of the imagination, and to call them "woofers" is even pushing it. They are a full range or midrange driver and yet my little one π's generate considerably more bass than your sealed cabinets do. What you heard in my 928 is just my one π's driven by that little Sony unit - 25 watts per channel - and without any EQ, whatsoever.

So I think you might consider using the suggestions I gave to you, and carefully choose a driver that's suitable for such an extremely small box. You'll also want to put a port in the system. You can always make a vented system smaller than a sealed system, and with your limited space - using a sealed "sub" is not really an option. If you'll take my suggestions, you'll get significantly greater performance from the same size box. Basically, what I'm telling you is that I can get you another octave lower bass, and maybe two, from the same size box.

But don't get me wrong - I like what you and Kelly have done. You're definitely doing better than the old stock Blaupunkt stereo system.

Re: Better than Blaupunkt! [message #37075 is a reply to message #37074] Wed, 26 June 2002 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne!

Kelly is a great guy and we've done well together on this project.

I realize porting will get me lower. I think I just always prefered the sound of sealed. I just like it better.

And on pricing, you may be right. I'm not going after the DIY crowd, though. My target is the stock look, drop in crowd. Which I think will pay a bit higher price for a good solution to bass. I can make a panel that sits in the hatch all day for $50, but it won't look stock and take up space.

Previous Topic: Theater 3PI Enclosure plans...
Next Topic: theater4pi and stage4pi for M252?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 02:39:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio