Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Disappearing acts, and music too
Disappearing acts, and music too [message #36973] Tue, 18 June 2002 21:49 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
All this stuff about placement and amps has got me thinking about how great my system sounds now and the recordings that just blow my mind on it.

Tonight I was spinning East coasting (remastered) by Charles Mingus? Makes my whole damn house disappear. I think Wayne worked up some funny engineering in there, because I swear cuban cigar smoke and the essence of gin and tonic wafts out of those ports everytime I play the right recording. Like I'm in this club in 1950's New York. This disc isn't up to todays uber slick standards, but it's got that something... These speaks have atmosphere down.

Anyone care to comment on other recordings to Pi by. I could stand to get turned on to even more great music, or reminded of something orphaned to the bottom shelf long ago, how 'bout you? Any genre. Good, bad, or ugly. Might be cool if you say why you like it.

Thomas

Re: Disappearing acts, and music too [message #36977 is a reply to message #36973] Wed, 19 June 2002 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Just last night I was listening to one of my disc's I use for system evaluation: Duke Ellington Live at Newport (I think 1956). This recording (on CD) is a real mish mash of mono and stereo but there is a very low noise floor and the mics really picked up the sounds as they were happening in an uncanny way. The sound stage is a mess but each mic has a whole little world going on around it. The soloists are standing there in front of you and you can just see the body movements and the angle of the horn.
Another favorite for both presence and music is Getz and Gilberto Vol.II (I think) - the live concert at Carnegie Hall in 1964 (I think).

G.

Re: Disappearing acts, and music too [message #36979 is a reply to message #36973] Wed, 19 June 2002 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
Thomas

I don't have Pi's yet but I plan to build some to check out low powered SET or PP amp's in the future. I run a set of Newform 645's that I DIYed.
I also love the sound of some of the vintage jazz recordings.
A friend was over the other day and I put on an old Miles Davis CD -Cookin With the Miles Davis Quintet I think it's called. This is recorded in Mono and we were both impressed with the realism.
One of my personal fav's is Sinatra Live at the Sands recorded in the 60's. If you like big band sound try this one. The monologues are also an insight into the culture and values of the time.
Belefonte's 2 Carnegie Hall Live concerts from 1960. Lots of depth and size in the sound stage.
I also have that Getz Gilberto vol. 2 CD. I must go back and have another listen. I didn't think it was a very good performance when I first listened to it. Time for another listen.
Shirley Horn I love Paris- I really like this CD. It is another live recording.

Happy Listening
Brian Pugh

Okay, Okay, enough with the vinyl already [message #36980 is a reply to message #36973] Wed, 19 June 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had to get some too:
Before:

After:

All I have to play is "Saxophone Colossus" and frankly, my $200 SACD player stomps this totally re-built in today's dollars $1000 TT.

That said, the PI's in the corners were totally gone from the room on Reference Recordings CD of Russian Easter Overture.

Not just vinyl and jazz! [message #36986 is a reply to message #36973] Wed, 19 June 2002 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I Love my Cal Audio Icon MKII as well. It can do things my TT never thought about. I am considering checking out the cheapy Sony sacd as well (as per Till's impressions). Maybe waiting for more titles.

On another note, is anyone out there fond of Plaid or Boards of Canada? (I don't think they are from Canada) If so, what else do you like on your Pi's?

Boards of Canada "Geogaddi" has such an intense palatte of texture. This is one disk that makes me scratch my head when people say electronica isn't music. I didn't know compression drivers could do that, was my first thought when I put this disk through the new Pi's. I can't believe how obviously compressed electrostats sound on good electronic material.

Thomas

Re: Not just vinyl and jazz! [message #36987 is a reply to message #36986] Wed, 19 June 2002 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I just picked up a Sony DVP-NS500V CD-SACD-DVD player for $160(us) and it seems to be a very adequate CDP as well as SACD. ESP. for the $$.

G.

Sony SACD [message #36991 is a reply to message #36987] Wed, 19 June 2002 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Where can I find one of these? $160 new or used?
Thats small change, I think I want one to... [message #36996 is a reply to message #36987] Wed, 19 June 2002 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
...at least until I get serious about the new format (and that may be a while) I can buy some software. How's the bass on these units?

Thomas

Re: Okay, Okay, enough with the vinyl already [message #36997 is a reply to message #36980] Wed, 19 June 2002 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yeah, I couldn't get over it the day I pushed the Pi's in the corner. I didn't think it was going to work, but I had tried everywhere else. WOW!! Sometimes the stuff that "can't" work in the audiophile world works just great in mine. How's that bass? I had to move them a little to get one small range of bass to calm down. Now, fantastic bottom end.
Re: Okay, Okay, enough with the vinyl already [message #36998 is a reply to message #36980] Wed, 19 June 2002 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Yeah I like playing the vinyl but there is a lot more coming from the CD with out spending a lot more than I care to in turn table gear.
Previous Topic: wayne, adam, sam or anyone else who can run pialign
Next Topic: Plans for Thermionic three Pi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 09:12:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio