Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Can I build my Studio One Pi using 3/4" MDF?
Can I build my Studio One Pi using 3/4" MDF? [message #36914] Sun, 16 June 2002 15:17 Go to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
I´m wondering if it would work just as well using 3/4" instead of 5/8" MDF for the Studio One Pi cabinet. I can get 5/8" MDF but my friend who makes the pieces for me has some pieces of 19mm (3/4") laying around.

I would of course recalculate the cabinet so that the internal size is exactly the same.

/Erik

Re: Can I build my Studio One Pi using 3/4" MDF? [message #36916 is a reply to message #36914] Sun, 16 June 2002 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The 3/4" would work better if anything, but I doubt you would notice much difference.

I don't even think you have to worry about recalculating the box size, the difference would be negligable...

Adam

Yes. Just make sure port length is right. [message #36919 is a reply to message #36914] Sun, 16 June 2002 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It will be just fine. But do make sure that your port is the right length. You want a tube that's 2.38" inside diameter and 3.5" long. Don't overlook the length of the baffle when installing the port. We want a tube that's 3.5" long from entrance to exit.

Re: Which MDF thickness do you recommend? 5/8"? [message #36927 is a reply to message #36919] Mon, 17 June 2002 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Johansson is currently offline  Erik Johansson
Viscount
I found out that I'll have to buy MDF for this project anyway. So now I have the choice of going with any thickness. What do you recommend? Standard 5/8" would be 16mm with our metric system and 3/4" would be 19mm for me. I'm hoping I won´t have to brace the cabinet to get a top performing speaker, do I need bracing with the 16mm (5/8") MDF?

/Erik

5/8" is plenty [message #36929 is a reply to message #36927] Mon, 17 June 2002 11:53 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Either would be just fine. As I mentioned in my last reply, just be sure that the port is the right length and diameter. When using a thicker panel, there is more length of "duct" simply due to the depth of the port hole cut into it. So please be sure to consider this when making your port, and make sure it's total length is 89cm.

On the matter of bracing, the box is small enough that it is pretty solid without braces. Certainly, you can't be too solid so it wouldn't hurt to use the thicker panels or to add bracing. So you won't hurt yourself to go bigger or to add braces.

Previous Topic: Anyone want to trade a pair of 2226H for my pair of 2226J?
Next Topic: CAS Canadian Audio Speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 16:37:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio