Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Info on buying and using a woodworking router?
Info on buying and using a woodworking router? [message #36909] Sun, 16 June 2002 07:13 Go to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
I have a very limited workshop when it comes to woodworking tools. This weekend I made a sample 1 Pi box sans the driver cutouts to see how a box might turn out before I try it with good wood. I tried making a box using 45 deg. cuts on all of the boards so the edges of the boards didn't show. All I had to use was a power hand saw. It came out a little rough. I'll need to scrap that idea until I get some better tools.

I really would like to buy a router for my next power tool purchase. Does anyone know where I can find out more about them so I buy the right one? I guess if anyone knows a website with a router primer or FAQ that would be what Im looking for. I basically would like to use it to cut the holes for drivers in a cabinet and also to round off the corners on a cabinet. Any Ideas?

Eat Mo' Hot Sauce,
crazychile

Re: Info on buying and using a woodworking router? [message #36910 is a reply to message #36909] Sun, 16 June 2002 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hifitom is currently offline  hifitom
Esquire
Try routerworkshop.com. A 3 1/4 Hp might be more than you need for this kind of thing, but it's really nice to have the extra power. I use a PorterCable 1.5 Hp plunge router and it does get to slow going in really hard woods. Nice for the basic stuff though. Buy good bits and you will have them for many years to come. You can really do almost anything with a router and some jigs. Check your local library for DIY woodworking books. If I remember correctly, there's one titled "the router cookbook".

Tom

you can start with a $29 "Buy and Discard" [message #36911 is a reply to message #36909] Sun, 16 June 2002 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
like mine, but now I'm stuck with the darn thing. It won't break, in spite of the cheap plastic case, so the planned "upgrade" purchase has been delayed indefinitely :) Sam
Re: Info on buying and using a woodworking router? [message #36915 is a reply to message #36909] Sun, 16 June 2002 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I hear all the time in my work about the 'cheap Sears router' that is all anyone needs and last forever. That happens to be true.
However, from Chinese Prison Labor Inc. that must be less true than before.
Even Porter Cable is making things of cheesy looking castings and sourcing parts who knows where. I recently bought and returned a P-C 2 HP plunge that cut well but looked cheap. And most importantly, the depth of cut adjustment was a POS!
Having used them off and on over 20 years, I would unequivocably(!) recommend the Freund FT 2000. It's engineering, wonderful range and manner of adjustment, easy bit change, power. etc etc by far outweigh the fact that it's a great huge beast.
It also works well as a router table router because of the good depth of cut adjustment.
The adjustments are easy and intuitive for a beginner and it'll slice through anything which will give you confidence. It is a little scary to hang onto something that's about to come around a corner toward your body with a cutting bit spinning at 22,000 RPM! Yikes!
The only downside beside it's hugeness is the base is cheesy rough. Simply go to Woodcraft or Garrett Wade.com and buy a replacement phenolic or clear acrylic base.
I guess I like it. Also good biscuit joiner for $99. Can't break that, either. Oh, and I only use Freund saw blades. The 80 tooth, teflon coated narrow kerf triple chip is the only way to cut veneer.
Did I mention that my utility chisels are Freund?
Now go to internationaltools.com and buy an FT2000 for $179. You don't need the case and guide, it's bullshit.

Re: using a woodworking router? [message #36917 is a reply to message #36915] Sun, 16 June 2002 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/014026.asp

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/060015.asp

A couple of videos that will show you, better than telling about 'climb-cutting', template routing, etc. There's also a book there 20 years of Methods of Work. The library certainly has books by Pat Warner.

Re: Info on buying and using a woodworking router? [message #36921 is a reply to message #36915] Sun, 16 June 2002 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
Thanks Till for the informative, no B.S. answer. So who makes good router bits? Are the Amana bits on the internationaltool.com website good? Are router bases pretty universal or do I have to make sure it will fit a Freud? I'll go check out some woodworking books and videos.

Eat Mo' Hot Saucce,
crazychile

Router bits [message #36924 is a reply to message #36921] Mon, 17 June 2002 06:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just noticed that clicking on router bits at the international site takes you to Amana. Click on Freund and you get to Freund bits, but click on Bosch which they used to have and no bits!
Never used Amana but they have a good rep. Mostly you buy the one that comes in the size and type you need and not worry too much about brand. Carbide is carbide, bits is bits. But always buy SOLID carbide whenever possible; safer, cleaner and longer lasting. Expensive.
Don't buy sets, do buy deals and close-outs.
The only junk I've run across is Black and Decker and the Wolf-something that my Home DEpot carries.
The Freund base is a little diferent so check. You can always drill and countersink your own holes. Just go buy a 1/4" piece of acrylic. It ain't magic. The Jasper jig is drilled for the Freund but you could make your own as I have always done until recently.
Previous Topic: frequency vs. phase
Next Topic: Reduce lenght of a JBL 2397?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 09:06:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio