Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » crossover caps...
crossover caps... [message #36849] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:18 Go to next message
Pilkar is currently offline  Pilkar
Chancellor
hi Wayne!

i'm about to build the crossovers... i need only the larger capacitors... is there any trouble if instead of one 8uF cap i place eight 1uF cap in parallel? i plan to do this with all large value caps.... is it allright?
well, thank you very much again!

Matias

Re: crossover caps... [message #36854 is a reply to message #36849] Wed, 12 June 2002 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That will work. Are they polypropylene film and metal foil caps? Is that why you've chosen to do this? Or do you just have a cabinet full of 1uF capacitors?
Re: crossover caps... [message #36858 is a reply to message #36854] Thu, 13 June 2002 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pilkar is currently offline  Pilkar
Chancellor
hi Wayne!

yes... they are polipropylene caps... i have chosen to do this because there are not higher values than 2.2uF or so in the 400V types and i don`t like electrolitics... and no, i do not have a cabinet full of them :(... a last question... what`s the difference between polypropylene and polyester caps?

thank you very much!

Matias

Re: crossover caps... [message #36859 is a reply to message #36858] Thu, 13 June 2002 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What on earth do you need 400 volt caps for??? That's like... Well damn that is a LOT of power.

If you are seriously talking power levels like that, you'd be better off going with an active crossover... 250 volt caps are *plenty* (enough to handle the power capabilities of most/all JBL or Eminence drivers).

Adam

Re: crossover caps... [message #36860 is a reply to message #36859] Thu, 13 June 2002 16:09 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I have tried lots of different kinds of capacitors, and always seem to find myself drawn to those with a polypropylene dielectric. I even prefer them to oil filled and oil/paper caps. I like poly/foil caps where possible, and metalized film for the larger values.
Previous Topic: Small problem regarding Motorola:s KSN 1038
Next Topic: Four Pi, Stage VS. Theater
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 11:23:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout