Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hi Wayne. Few more questions
Hi Wayne. Few more questions [message #36850] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:19 Go to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi Wayne,
Few more questions about the 2Pi's if you don't mind.
1. Does the kit comes with dampening material?
2. I am currently using a push-pull tube amp rated at 65 wpc. Will that be too much power? Can the 2Pi's handle that much power without sounding strained?
3. Since I will be putting this on the floor against the front wall and not on a corner how do I angle it up if need be without spikes or stand?
Best Regards,
Edwin
Hi Edwin. Few more answers. [message #36853 is a reply to message #36850] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The damping material I suggest is R11 or R13 fiberglass insulation. It must be supplied separately but is easy to find in any hardware store.

The two π speaker is designed to handle 100 watts RMS continuous power, and it does not sound strained at all even at that power level. So 65 watts will be just fine.

I like using wedge-shaped mini-stands because the aim the forward axis of the speaker towards the listener without raising the speaker enough to start getting floor bounce. Another way around floor bounce is to add subs, which then also increase bass extension and smooth room modes. But if that's not an option, use angled mini-stands if you can. Only in cases where you have to get the speakers up over furnature would I suggest stands, and in that case, the furniture may help mitigate some of the floor bounce notch.

Gotta run...

...it's summertime!

Re: Hi Edwin. Few more answers. [message #36862 is a reply to message #36853] Thu, 13 June 2002 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
How do you attach the fiberglass? Do you glue or do you staple? Even if your 7,000 miles away I can still feel your summer there :-)
Thanks,
Edwin
Summertime! [message #36864 is a reply to message #36862] Thu, 13 June 2002 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I glue the insulation in, but I used to staple. If you have a strong staple gun, it makes more sense because it is fast and easy. The only thing that is a possible disadvantage is that staples can come loose inside the speaker, particularly if the gun isn't strong enough to drive the staples deep into the wood. So that's why I stopped using staples, although I'm not categorically against this method of attachment.

Is it warm there too? Where do you live? What are some of the fun things that everyone likes to do there?

Re: Summertime [message #36872 is a reply to message #36864] Fri, 14 June 2002 01:50 Go to previous message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
It's not only warm, it's HOT here in the Philippines! Though it should be the rainy season this time of the year this is a very extended summer here. I live in the metropolis and everybody goes out of town to the beaches during weekends. But now no more because school has started. So it's time to settle once again in front of the speakers and let the music drift in the air minus the noise of 4 kids who are off to school :-)
Enjoy,
Edwin
Previous Topic: Could I please have the plans for One Pi?
Next Topic: How is the One Pi dampened inside?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 11:26:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio