Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 1 Pi speaker plans
1 Pi speaker plans [message #36801] Fri, 07 June 2002 11:03 Go to next message
Mattias S is currently offline  Mattias S
Chancellor
Hi

Would it be possible to get the plans and crossover design for the 1 Pi speakers ?

Regards // Mattia S - Sweden

You have mail! [message #36802 is a reply to message #36801] Fri, 07 June 2002 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: You have mail! [message #36804 is a reply to message #36802] Fri, 07 June 2002 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne

Thank you kindly for your mail.=)

Just one more question. Searched the forum regarding crossover design and found that the 1 pi doesnt have one. I find that to be very interresting and i wondered if you could explain how it works ?

Regards // Mattias S - Sweden

Oh and some other questions ( seems that i got lots of them =) [message #36805 is a reply to message #36804] Fri, 07 June 2002 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Here's some more for you.

1. The motorola tweeter. Does the same driver carry several different names ? The one you are using ( KSN-1038 ) looks exactly like the A138 and MPT-100 ( however the MPT has a black throat ).

2. Do I connect the drivers separately to one terminal or is there a special kind of way ? May be a stupid question but the "crossoverless" design threw me of guard.

Thanks once more.

Regards // Mattias S - Sweden

Re: Oh and some other answers ( seems that i got lots of them ) [message #36806 is a reply to message #36805] Fri, 07 June 2002 21:49 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Mattias!

You wrote:

>> Searched the forum regarding crossover design and found that the
>> 1 pi doesnt have one. I find that to be very interresting and i
>> wondered if you could explain how it works ?

That's right. In this design, the mechanical rolloff properties of the drivers themselves are what splits the band. There is no electrical filter whatsoever.

>> The motorola tweeter. Does the same driver carry several different
>> names ? The one you are using ( KSN-1038 ) looks exactly like the
>> A138 and MPT-100 ( however the MPT has a black throat ).

There are several models that are the same mechanically, electrically and acoustically and the only difference is the cosmetics. Examples are the KSN 1038, 1041 and 1056. There are also some that are very similar, having the same motor but a different horn flare or no horn at all. But the A138 and MPT-100 are names I am unfamiliar with, so be sure and confirm they're the right parts.

I don't recommend a substitution because I've heard many bad piezo implementations. I'm sure you can find good units, and the truth is that most I've experimented with personally were good parts. But I can only tell you that I know the 1038 to be a good part and the price is inexpensive enough that there is little reason to second source them and take a gamble. I am sure that this is true in Europe and Asia as well.

>> Do I connect the drivers separately to one terminal or is there a
>> special kind of way ? May be a stupid question but the "crossoverless"
>> design threw me of guard.

Nothing unusual about it at all. Connect the amplifier positive terminal to the midwoofer positive terminal and to the tweeter positive terminal too. Connect the negative terminals in this way as well.

Take care!

Wayne

Previous Topic: Midrange in Pi 7's.
Next Topic: Thermionic 4 pi plans?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 06:46:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers